Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently aquired a 12ga. model 1912 s\n 78xxx. The barrel is 30" FULL choke. I believe it is a field grade because it has a plain barrel and stock. The metal finish on the reciever is a brownish rust color but not pitted. The barrel and magazine tube is a faded blue color with areas that are worn to bare metal on the magazine tube. I would like to know an approx. value as is and if professonal reblued\restored.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently got one too.... Good choice... :D The only info I can give you is to look here... http://oldguns.net/cgi-bin/f2f/f2f.pl?h ... inmods.htm to see when your gun was made... Look at the "$300 model 12" post.. The pictures I link to are of mine... You can probably use my post as a guideline for yours since they are probably the same... I am sure that one of the Winchester gurus will be here shortly...
:D :D

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hello hu58nt: Well you have a 1914 first year Md 1912 12 ga. The 12 ga. first came out in 1914, (s/n's 32,419-79,765).

These guns had some unique features that most don't have such as a non, grooved receiver, just a 5/16ths matt down the top of the receiver that has a full radius. It had a 14 groove forearm. No alignment arrows on the mag tube and receiver extention. The others are hidden.

Eric gave good advice, look at his thread, there is a big difference in reblueing, (don't do it) and restoration, (I'll only recommend restoration). It will save me a lot of typing again! LOL

The one thing value books don't take into consideration, is vintage. I always add 10% to the value being a first year gun.
Not many have survived over the last 91 years!!!

You can PM me or email me directly if you have further questions, at [email protected]

Regards Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked out the other post. I was pretty certain that the gun was a very early one (s\n 78xxx) but had no idea of a value. I am trying to decide whether or not to have this gun "RESTORED" or leave it in the condition it is currently in. My other concern is that if I do nothing that the metal finish will get worse. Are there any products out there to protect the existing metal finish without changing that aged patina other than oiling. This gun was given to me so I am not that concerned about how much money will be invested in it. My hope is that this gun will be around for another 91 years. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hello hu58nt: Keeping the metal coated with a good quality gunoil is about all you can do. Restoration of both the metal and stocks will start around $600-$700 and go up depending on exactly what's needed. If you want a couple of places to talk to email me at; [email protected]

Regards Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts