Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across a trap model Winchester 21 with IM/F chokes on 30-inch barrels and with a beautifully-figured Monte Claro stock. With factory 3-inch chambers -- on a trap model. All serial numbers match.

How much should I tell my wife my trap score will improve if I add this Model 21 to my humble collection ?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Tell your wife that when you miss that "1" target for a "99" and a third place finish that you'll have the classiest firearm on the line AND one that many trapshooters would consider an inferior trap gun. Ergo, even though you came in third you had what would be considered by others a "handicap" with a SxS so your feat would be held in higher esteem by your peers! Actually, you might do better explaining to her that a Model 21 to a shooter is like a really big diamond to a woman. Be prepared to have to buy her a diamond also.
EG

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Anything under 6 grand is a bargian for an old 21. Ive only watched 2 shooters ever use the Winchester 21 SxS in registered trap. One old boy from MO, and a guy with the first name of Miles from NE. Both did not shoot that well. My guess, because the gun is a low shooter, but a great collectable.

If your more interested in the tradition and uniqueness, then the 21 is a great choice. If your wanting to shoot high average, my guess is the gun will limit your success. If I had one, I would enjoy, but it would be a safe queen.

Maltzie

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Hammer.....

I'm certain there have been many 100 straights with the 21, and more to come. What I'm saying is, when you compared the 21 to todays trap models there are many differences. I'm looking at this from my perspective and what is known to be successful on todays trap fields. There are lots of very good trapshooters that point with a gun that has a low POI. Actually some exceptional shooters like Niel Winston that posts here and some All Americans that are so above average, there seems to be no comparison. The few, with the rest ranging from 70/30% to 150% high. A large percentage of above average shooters shoot with guns above 100% POI. You just need to know what is right for you. Whats right today and what may be your need down the road. The limiting factor with the Win 21 is how high you can set the POI. Its a low shooter now and will be a low shooter even if you set the comb up. Its a low shooter by design, along with all trap guns of the same vintage. Low can be good or bad based on your personal needs. Low can be learned, and can be continued.

But....the big "BUT"....you will always be managing your timing, to place shot on a target that is no longer climbing. The other theory is you set the POI to match your timing and rely on your vision. Its proven that more mistakes by average shooters are made trying to manage timing, compared to just looking at the target, moving to it naturally and alowing your subconscious to trigger on sight picture. Either you are slow or you manage timing. This is the same case scenario as going from a field model to a trap model.

I should have stated the limiting factor would be to shooters like me and maybe not you personally.

Maltzie

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Model 21's were prominent on the 1938 World Record squad. At least one Model 21 shooter, Cap Grier, ran 200 straight on that squad at the Grand. I still shoot one of Grier's Model 21s, made in 1938 after the Grand, probably a present from John Olin for his performance on the World Record squad.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Model 21's were prominent on the 1938 World Record squad. At least one Model 21 shooter, Cap Grier, ran 200 straight on that squad at the Grand. I still shoot one of Grier's Model 21s...
Now that's the kind of information that will impress my wife.

Buy the Winchester Model 21 and I will win the Grand.

Our children and grandchildren will be proud.

Forget that shopping trip to New York and Paris.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.