Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it because it is the ugly duckling utility gun or is there other reasons why the Model 24 is looked at so distastefully? I have one (12ga 28" bbl - imp/mod) that I purchased some years ago that was built in 1940. The gun shoots just great and has beautiful figured wood. It shoulders and swings (for me) like a gem. When I had to send my Beretta back for warranty work, I pulled the 24 from the safe and never looked back. Just curious (now running for cover with head down). :roll:

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
The American sportsman's affair with the M24 is sort of a hate it or love it thing. There is really not much wrong with the M24 but it is often compared to the M21 or the M23 both of which were much more expensive guns.

Many feel that the M24 is unbalanced and swings like a 2X4. I don't agree with this.

Other shortcomings are that the bluing is not up to the Winchester quality of the time. Also, the barrels are pretty thin and can be prone to dents.

No matter, I like the M24 and shoot it well.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
As I stated in another post, the Win.24 is the only gun I think is uglier than the Bakail.. They're Tough rugged, heavy, bulky, heavy in the hand, The Bakail has one advantage, It's going to wear out in afew years and you're thru with it, That Win. 24 is never going to wear out and you're stuck with that joker for life...JMHO..Bushrod

·
Registered
874 Posts
A couple years back I bought a 16 ga model 24 that was in really bad shape. After I repaired the stocks and cleaned the metal up it looked pretty decent and shot great. I was really surprised at the very modern stock dimensions and how well it pointed. I eventually traded it away, but I'd really like to have another one in 20 ga. The biggest shortcoming that I had read about, was the really small extractors that could jump over the rim and leave the empty stuck in the chamber. Mine never had this problem though.

Weagle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts