Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Winchester Model 37 .410 today from a friend that had no use from his fathers old gun. It's in fairly decent shape for being 50-60 years old, though I can't take it apart completely, corrosion maybe? I removed the forearm but couldn't get the barrel off. I cleaned the gun the best I could and it fires great. Will be a good little hunter for my boys. It says on the barrel 3" chamber, does that mean only 3" shells? It also says 'choke' but not what choke. There are no removable tubes. Any idea on value, my friend wanted $75, not too bad $$ wise since that doesn't even fill my truck these days.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
SJ, that barrel should tip up enough to just come loose, going up and back.

3 inch chamber is good for either 2 1/2 or 3 inch shells.

Choke on this gun likely means "full" choke.

Bargain! I think you stole it! 12 gage in fair condition should easy bring that, and a .410 quite a bit more!

Clyde

·
Registered
338 Posts
Everything jugchoke said, plus: the cheapest model 37 in 410 I have seen lately was at a trade in London, Ky, and it was $400.00. :)

Get a bore brush, some bore cleaner, and get a 410 cleaning jag. Don't get one of those slotted tips, get a jag. If you can't find one in 410, one for a 40 cal or 10mm handgun will work fine. Clean the bore with the brush and cleaner, then with patches on the jag. When the patches come out clean, run a patch oiled with either Break Free CLP or Rem Oil through the bore.

If you don't feel confident to do so, get someone who knows what he is doing and remove the stock. Spray the receiver inside and out with a spray type gun scrubber. When it is dry, just a few minutes, spray it with CLP or Rem Oil. Hang it up or lay it on multiple layers of paper towels and let the oil drain, a couple of days. Wipe it down with a dry cloth or those blue paper towels. Wipe the outside of the barrel down with oil until your towel comes out clean. Put a thin coat of a good gun grease, or even a moly grease, on the hinge, hinge pin, the locking cut or groove, and the locking bolt. You may want to refinish the stock and forearm and for that do a search on gunsmithing/restoration.

If the bore is not badly pitted, it can be polished and put back into operation if you should wish to do so.

I think you have one of the finest, if not the finest, single barrel shotguns ever made. A model 37 in 410 is what I started out with in 1958 or 1959. :D

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, that sounds like lots of work. Maybe I won't go for a complete restore but enough to be useful. The wealth of information from the people on this site is humbling sometimes. Maybe if I knew of a good gunsmith in this area, they are hard to find.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have a Red Letter 37 .410. You got a great deal. I see them at shows $350-400 in good shape.

My barrel is a little tricky to remove, too. I think its the spring loaded extractor mechanism that gets in the way. Remove forend, break it open, then pull down on the barrel while pulling back on the stock. This pushes in the extractor and provides clearance to remove the barrel.

Also, as I understand it, "choke" is Winchester-speak for "full choke".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts