Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there:

Working on an old Model 97, and I'm having a problem getting it to feed shells from the magazine into the chamber. I can single load it, fire, and shift, and empty hull ejected fine. When I put loaded rounds into the magazine, they go in o.k., but when I try to shift one into the empty chamber, it will come out about 3/4 of the way and hang up.

Can anyone steer me into how maybe I can make an adjustment or do something to clear up this problem ? It is a take down model, old and lacking a lot of blueing, but looks and feels mechanically tight and good to go.

Any and all info/help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and all the best,

Casper_zip

·
Registered
607 Posts
Might be rusted inside the magazine tube, maybe dirty or a weak magazine spring. Have you taken it apart and cleaned it? I don't really know. Try posting your question in the "I love my" part of the forum in the Winchester part. Someone should help you there.

Matt

·
Registered
566 Posts
Did you just get the gun or has the problem just surfaced recently? It helps to know these things in diagnosing the problem. You really need to take down this gun; right down to every last pin and screw. As Matt suggested, there may be 100 years of crud in the works. A few things to look for in addition to the mag spring, the shell stops may have a lot of crud underneath them, your mag tube may not be bottomed out in its place, the forend stop on the mag tube may have come loose, there may be too much play on the takedown joint. Be sure you know what you are doing when you disassemble the gun. Sometimes I think they were called 97s not because of the year they were introduced, but because there are 97 parts inside the receiver.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey there:

Thanks for the help/info. I gave it a thorough cleaning. Now, with a little "help" I can push the bottom part, and the shell will then let itself be "shifted" into the chamber.

I really believe now, that actually, it's too "tight". It's a take down model, but that baby is so tight when it goes together it is really tight and solid.

It is a Model 97 I put together from two guns. I got the receiver, and then a complete front end.

Thanks to all of you, I'll just keep pecking away till I get it solved. You are right, I agree, they named it the 97 because it probably has that many parts. Now adays, each 97 part is worth at least $100-500 when you try to buy even a tiny part.

All the best,

Casper_zip aka Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts