Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what this thing is worth?

It has the lugs for the bayonet, hardware for the strap....has US "burning bomb" stamped into it...has the perforated hand guard over the barrel...

in beautiful condition...

serial # 958xxx

just discovered in my father's things.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
It's a 1943 gun - The "burning bomb" is the U.S. Ordnance stamp. Depending on the particulars and the condition, the gun could run from $700 to $5,800 according to the blue book.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I DID recognize the ordnance symbol for what it was. The condition is really remarkable...all the serial #'s match and it doesn't look to have been modified in any way.

$700 to $5,800 ??

funny thing is, the receipt from when my father bought it is still with the gun...

are you ready?

$19.00

""The Model 97 trench gun was capable of tremendous firepower. Issued to
AEF soldiers with paper-hulled 00 buckshot loads holding nine pellets, the
97 could lay down 54 .33-caliber projectiles in a matter of seconds simply
by holding back the trigger and rapidly working the slide, as the gun did
not have a trigger disconnector.
Today's owner of a Model 97 trench gun is armed with a fighting arm that
has stood the test of time. Apart from their short 2 3/4-inch chambers,
these guns are as versatile and deadly today as they were almost a century
ago. ""

wow...I think I'm in love.

·
Registered
22 Posts
:wink: Well Milkman...It's interesting that they were selling Martial type firearms during that time - you did say it was bought new in '43? Did I miss the date Gramps came into possn?
If after '45, well, I could see the price tag; after all these pups were long in the tooth then. But for instance, somebody buying any firearm during those yrs.[41-45] seems to be suspect 'cause of prodn. for the war effort. That said, the range in price quoted seems to be extreme. Did'nt know there was a range of features in this model to command such $. Maybe the markings? The ser. # goes w/o saying and certainly the condtn. is a big part. I'll say 2,000.00 sounds good to me;[only if ya got the bayonet, otherwise 1,890.00!] I'm envious 'cause I let one go 10 yrs. ago at a 450.00 price tag. I'm gonna have to settle for the recent Norinco effort at a similar price.
Greystoke

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey milkman did you know you can fire that model97 pump just by holding the trigger down and jacking the slide closed ? the firing pin falls as the chamber closes on the round . just a word of warning

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Mlkman Dan, If you plan to sell that gun,do your homework. Minty M12 trench guns can be worth alot of money. There are many fakes out there but if it is real it could be worth alot. Try contacting Dave here on this forem under Only Winchesters. He many be able to help you.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hello MilkmanDan: well your gun was made in about 1950 according to the serial number. Winchester did start making them again for the Korean war. First off I'm no "expert" in Winchester trench or riot guns, but I know enough to spot a fake!

Finding a 55 year old gun in mint condition is rare on this type. Not only was the "flaming bomb" on top of the barrel, the receiver and butt stock would have to have thier corresponding gov't stamps too! If the metal is close to mint the stocks should be too!

By the mid 1950's through most of the 60's you could pick these up dirt cheap at most big gun shows. since gov't stamps are available with all the parts one needs, all I can say is if you had 10 of them 8 or 9 would be fakes or ones that someone built up! Much less in "original" mint condition. Even the gov't arsenals refurbished them.

Can you post pictures?

Regards Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts