Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently made the switch to reloading Remington hulls since I'm running desperately low on my old style AA hulls. I've always used Winchester primers when reloading and having those laying around I picked a recipe from the Hodgdon's data that allows for them.

I noticed that sometimes the primer didn't seem to fit all the way in the brass. I wonder if this will pose a safety problem? I don't think it will be too much to worry about, but I thought I'd ask here.

At any rate, I have to go to the shop to swap some wads, I might as well pick up some Remington primers while I'm there. I figure if there is something to be said for the size of a Winchester primer not being just right in a Remington hull, getting Remington primers will probably fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
It is poor quality control on a few lots of Winchester primers. I had two lots that had maybe 5 or 6 out of 5,000 that wouldn't seat correctly and required an extra action on my part. In general, though, Win. 209, CCI-209, and Rem. STS fit fine in the Remington hulls as they should.

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
You shouldn't need to change wads either. Any wad I'm familliar with and that is a lot of them, that is appropriate for the old or new AAs will do very nicely indeed in the STS/Nitro hulls too. Remington didn't reinvent the wheel here, just came up with a very good formula for hulls! Not that the old or new AAs aren't OK too, I load and shoot LOTS of both, actually all three. I use both WW 209s and RPSTS primers interchangabaly in the loads I shoot.

BP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.