Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how much effect the primer has on velocity and pressure. Here is my dilemma:
I am new to reloading and have done a lot of reading on the subject, studied the various manufacturers website for recipes and read a lot of this forum. I decided on a 1 oz. 12 gauge load, 1200 fps to start off on:
Remington Gun Club hulls (I have quite a few once fired from the local club)
Rem. 209P Primer
WAA12SL Wad
18.0 grains Red Dot.

I picked up a pound of Red Dot and a bag of windjammer II clone wads but the shop did not have any Rem. primers so I figured I could find a recipe using Win. primers so I bought 1000 of them. When I got home I looked up the Red Dot recipes and couldn't find one for these components. I went shopping today for the Rem. primers but nobody in town seems to have them.
So finally I come to my questions, if I were to substitute the Win. primers in the above recipe, what kind of change could I expect? The above recipe is rated at 9600 psi, would the change in primer increase this to unsafe levels? Should I decrease the powder charge to be safe? Or should I forget this idea and mail order some Remington primers?

Thanks for your help

Rick

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
no, it wouldn't increase it to unsafe levels

well, i spoke before i looked, lymans shows a one ounce/17.5 reddot/sl wad/w209 at 1223 fps/11,400 psi :shock: seems a chunk to me, i'll do more looking but going by that---you might drop half a grain.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The load you listed is straight out of the Alliant Powder Reloaders' Guide, 2004 edition, page 15, or off their website. As you noted that recipe called for the WAA12SL (pink) wad in conjunction with the Remington 109P (STS) primer.

Now the first thing I'm wondering about is why you picked up a bag of clone Windjammer II wads (CB4118-12B?).

Regardless of that, though, there is no reason not to use your load with either Winchester 209 or Remington 209P primers. With 1 ounce loads, you are going to be around 10,000 psi with either primer assuming you are using the WAA12SL wad or a clone of it. That Windjammer-type wad, though, is very likely going to reduce your pressure down to somewhere around 7,000 psi and give you a velocity of something less than 1180 fps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone,
OKShotgunner said:
Now the first thing I'm wondering about is why you picked up a bag of clone Windjammer II wads (CB4118-12B?).
Sorry, I guess I worded that incorrectly in my original post. I meant I picked up a bag of the Windjammer II wads, from what I am told and have read here these load just like the WAA12SL wads.

The load you listed is straight out of the Alliant Powder Reloaders' Guide, 2004 edition, page 15, or off their website. As you noted that recipe called for the WAA12SL (pink) wad in conjunction with the Remington 109P (STS) primer.
It is from the wedsite, but it says to use the Rem. 209P primer, is this the same as the STS primer?

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
rmg1234 said:
It is from the wedsite, but it says to use the Rem. 209P primer, is this the same as the STS primer?
Yes.

Just use the Winchester 209 primers you bought. The difference between Winchesters and Remingtons is negligible.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
rmg1234 said:

Thanks
Rick
I made a typo by typing 109. It is, of course, 209. The Remington primer is designated 209 (for size) and P for Premier. The STS stands fro skeet-trap-sporting clays. So the full designation of Remington's current primer is 209 Premier Skeet-Trap-Sporting Clays (209PSTS), which no one ever uses. Most of us simply refer to it as the STS primer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.