Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what information do you have on this gun? was it quality? what others are comparable? my grandfather had one, and i would like to buy one, or one very like it. ty

·
Registered
476 Posts
Probably need a little more info :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the gun was a winchester single shot break open, 12 gauge, had the toggle switch on the action to open it, and a kind of half exposed hammer.....that is all i rem except that it kicked hard for a 10 year old. thank you for any help.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Onegun,
Here are a couple of single shot models you can find on the internet.

Model 1885 for Rimfire and Centerfire

Model 37A for shotguns

try a search on this site and google for additional information

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gun sounds like a Winchester model 37. Very poplar gun for "turkey shoots". Good ones in 12 go for $150 to $250. You can usually find one at a medium sized gun show. Check to see if the barrel looks okay. Have heard of people squeezing them in a vise and doing other things to try to make them shoot a little cluster of shot at the card to give them an edge.

The model 37a is not the same gun. The 37's were of pretty good quality for a single shot. I had one in 20 gauge. Wish I had not sold it.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Guest is right the model 37A had an exposed hammer above the top lever and the model 37 has a semi-exposed hammer below the top lever.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a winchester model 37a 20ga that is I would say 90 - 95%. would anybody here have any idea what it might be worth?
I also have a stevens model 77b 16ga pump. Know what it might be worth? It is 80 - 90%.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The model 37 is the winchester single shot that goes for a high price now. The model 37a is a cheaper made gun that came out later, I think after winchester was pretty well out of winchester.

The 37 is a pretty nice gun for a single shot. I had a 20 gauge. Like all single shot, kicks like a mule due to the light weight. It is essentially a "hammer gun" with the hammer mostly enclosed. But you have to cock the hammer seperately after you close the gun. You carry it down and cock it to shoot.

Be a little wary of buying a used 12 gauge. Look the barrel over carefully. Turky shooter do strange things to gun barrels in an effort to get them to "clump" shot rather than to disperse it uniformly like hunters want. Squeezing it oval in a vise is one thing that is sometimes done plus various home reaming jobs, etc.

I see them for $250 or so at the gun shows. A real nice one might run more. I would pay it for a 37, I would not pay it for a 37a, even though they try to price them the same.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had a first issue model 37 red letter, this had the "pigtail" hand forged lever and the tiny little hammer, i think they ran those for about 2 years or so, then went to the larger and much more common hammer for the remainder of the model 37 red letter issue. and yes they are hell on wheels at meat shoots. i sold it 13 yrs ago wheni got married and out of the big meat/money shoot competition. don't ask, i know it was a stupid thing to do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anonymous said:
I have a winchester model 37a 20ga that is I would say 90 - 95%. would anybody here have any idea what it might be worth?
I also have a stevens model 77b 16ga pump. Know what it might be worth? It is 80 - 90%.
$225-250 at a gun show in good condition, but very hard to find.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anonymous said:
Anonymous said:
$225-250 at a gun show in good condition, but very hard to find.
model 37 that is.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Three years ago I sold a M37 12ga,28" full choke,Red Label for $350. The gun had never been fired and rated 100% with hang tag,price tag,original sales reciept,owner's manual & pristine box. The $350 price,at that time,seemed a little high but it is my guess that you could get more for it now. :?:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my grandfather bought a model 37 back in the day. it was sorta passeded around between my dad and uncle, who used it for years and downed there first birds with it, as did me, my sister, in a few years my brother, and the majority of my cousins. nearly all of my family are veteran pheasant hunters, and they all got their start on that 37. i still prefer using the 37 over my model 12, and i alway catch crap for using an old single shot, but i just ask why they need more than one shot for on bird. :wink:

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
There is also the 370. Basically the same gun, probably just lesser quality. Same exposed hammer. My dad bought mine 35yrs ago at K-Mart. I think it was $39 or $49 in 12ga 30" full. Kicks like a mule from the state BPS Hq is in. :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will the person who sold the red lable 12 gauge mod 37 3 years ago see if the person who bought it would be willing to resell it? If so send me an [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
i bought a model37 20 gauge todayfor 40 dollars, it was rusty and stock was nearly black but the barrel was clean, i cleaned it up and plan to reblue it ,the stock is walnut and it looks great now , i was curious about how much it would be worth after refinishing

·
Registered
11,204 Posts
About 30 dollars. The reason is that a refinished gun is generally worth LESS money if refinished than an original in poor condition. Just trying to be a realist.

This is NOT always true, as people are getting a little smarter now, and are beginning to realize the value of good "restoration".

BobK

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.