1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loaded up some 20 gauge loads as follows

win old school AA hull
win 209 primer
16.2 gr Winchester super field powder (hodgdon recipe calls for 16.5)
orange duster (pre-down range ones)
7/8 oz shot.

mid 40's for temperature this evening here.

shot 5 stand under the lights tonight... boy oh boy where these loads smoky and all sorts of grains of residue in the barrels of the 525 sporting clays gun

so smoky that on some presentations it was very hard to impossible to see the second target... reminiscent of shooting a black powder gun....

is this typical?

I see in the Lyman #5 manual could go up to 17.5grains in the field loads section for the rest of the components, but hodgdon data suggests that might be up there more than is good pressure wise....

one thing I do know is I will have to use the rest of these shells for daytime shooting to avoid making a smoke screen for some of the targets.

thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's about what I figured, the recipe I used as a little too low

I have enough powder left to load up about 200 more, and will likely then go to universal or 20/28 depending on what I can find.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Can't say I have ever shot a 20 gauge at night (and 12 rarely) but I have shot 12 and 20 loaded with 20/28. The barrel looked pretty clean even down below 8000 PSI in 12 gauge. Try some of the loads that Alliant lists up above 10,000.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.