Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought some folks would like to see what I had done to my Super X. Engraving roughly patterned after the Browning Superposed Midas grade guns. I especially like the skeletonized trigger guard the engraver suggested. Next to a gunsmith for bluing and reassembly. There is a lot of detail in the receiver that is difficult to show in the pictures.
Sunglasses Sleeve Waist Musical instrument Bag
Textile Sleeve Musical instrument Couch Bag
Bumper Automotive exterior Belt Musical instrument accessory Sunglasses

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, do you have the wood to it justice ?
Honestly, no. I have a “good” stock and forearm but not exceptional - which is what this deserves. I’ve had one custom stock made several years ago and I have mixed emotions about the process.

I have considered finding the wood on my own and then researching for a stock maker. I think some of the more well known stock makers prefer to sell their own wood and are reluctant to allow a customer to provide their own wood. The excuse I was given previously regarding furnishing my own wood is that there is no way knowing if there are any voids in the wood until the process is started and the wood is cut into.

I would like to find my own wood because, quite frankly, I think stock makers that sell the blanks WAY over charge. Here is a stock I had made for a Kriegoff that purchased the blank off of eBay for $600. A well known stock maker told me they would have charged $1,800 for the same quality blank

Wood Red Material property Musical instrument Everyday carry
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Red

This is an example of what I would like to put on the Super X. I’m a sucker for English or Turkish walnut. This is what I would expect to see to compliment the engraving.

Hood Wood Automotive lighting Tints and shades Vehicle door

That wood is on a Gold Superscroll K80.

Here is the wood on my K20 which is comparable and would certainly be acceptable.
Grass Wood Electric blue Revolver Fashion accessory

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
How would I keep it from rusting ?
Not sure if just oil would protect it well enough. Someone more knowledgeable than I may pipe in with suggestions.
As for the wood, A or B carved American walnut is what Winchester used on their factory guns. Here is a pic of my SuperX1 A carved stock:

Wood Comfort Floor Flooring Chair

Guitar accessory Wood Automotive design String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory

This is after market wood but utilized the Winchester checkering pattern. No matter what you do to finish your project you will end up with a one-of-a-kind work of art. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is set I have now. It’s nice, but not nearly nice enough for this gun. I have no way to how much it would cost to trust anyone else pick my wood.
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood Gun accessory

I once picked a set of 90% inletted wood from Wenig for my Model 42. I good friend fit, finished, and checkered it for me. It turned out pretty well - at least to my eyes.

Plant Lechon Wood Suckling pig Grass
Vertebrate Plant Bottle Wood Water
Light Green Plant Wood Outdoor bench

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
What is in the small rectangles near the bottom, on the left side of the receiver? I Model designation and serial number?

That's a one of a kind beauty. Congratulations.

I would not be the least bit apologetic of your currrent stock; (I've never owned anything higher than grade 1 or 2 wood...maybe 1.5 ,😁 so that's just me) but I do agree that to do this art project and yourself justice, it is perfectly logical to ultimately get the level of wood that pleases you.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The small rectangle is a mouse trap ! 🙄. I was trying to catch chipmunks in our garden. 😬

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whoops my bad. The Super X pic left side receiver is the Super X wording. It is done in gold as is the serial number. It should pop out when the gun is blued.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some better close ups of the engraving to show the detail. The bluing should really make the gold “pop.” 🤞. The engraving of the game scene detail is, to me, beyond incredible. I have seen other high dollar guns with extensive engraving. I believe this gun will now exhibit quite well with the best of the best. I feel fortunate to have found this engraver. He is experiencing some medical issues that will curtail future projects for him for awhile.

Plant Green Rectangle Textile Hood
Green Hood Rectangle Bumper Yellow
Green Rectangle Musical instrument Bag Automotive lighting
Rectangle Plant Material property Font Magenta

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I am just now beginning to consider obtaining a knock your socks off stock and forearm for my engraved Super X. I believe I have discovered that all factory forarms/barrel contours are the same. I have two Super X guns and the forearms definitely fit differently on each of the guns.

My concern is in buying a factory set of wood - as there is a variation of barrel contours that relates to proper fitting. What questions should I be asking ?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Amboy49,

You might check with Stu Wright's son in Pinkneyville, IL as I believe they produced high grade sets for the Super X-1 as well as Winchester Model 12's and 42's.

Good luck, Will

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Amboy49,

You might check with Stu Wright's son in Pinkneyville, IL as I believe they produced high grade sets for the Super X-1 as well as Winchester Model 12's and 42's.

Good luck, Will
I don’t think Scott is doing stock work anymore. He was certainly very good at it. He custom checkered a stock for my Perazzi years ago that would knock your socks off! He also did some really nice Super X stocks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts