Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tonight I went to Wally World to pick up some Winchester AA’s for my new 20 gauge and they were sold out of #7.5. I wanted a decent shell to finish out the rest of dove season. My options were between Super X and Super Target. I bought the Super X and apparently chose more poorly than the Nazi officer in “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade”.

When I got home I cut one open to find some of the worst shot I’ve seen…It’s not very round and looks to be made up of everything but the kitchen sink.

Does anybody have any comparative pictures of Super Target shot? They are about the same price and I’m curious as to what you get.

Luckily my buddy picked me up a flat of Federal Top Gun shells today and I’m hoping they have a bit more quality control.

Any thoughts on what the best shells commonly encountered at Wally World in 20 gauge may be? Thanks for your time.

Attachments

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not seeing the problem with the shot in the picture you posted?
Yeah I figured it might be hard to see in the picture. Sorry, I can’t do better than that. The shot isn’t very round and has a few that are stuck together. You know, maybe I’m being picky but it looks worse than what I use to reload and costs $9 and change per box.

· Registered
2,233 Posts
Yeah I figured it might be hard to see in the picture. Sorry, I can’t do better than that. The shot isn’t very round and has a few that are stuck together. You know, maybe I’m being picky but it looks worse than what I use to reload and costs $9 and change per box.
The prices of the cheap promo loads has definitely gone up in the last year. Stuff I was paying $24.95/100 in August 2021 is now $34.42/100. I prefer the inexpensive Federals over the Winchesters. However, my scores don't change with the brand of shell. The brass plated Federals seem to cycle better than the silver metal head Winchesters in some guns. Go kill doves, they won't notice that the BB's aren't perfect. If you want to see mis-shapen shot, you should cut open a Winchester Expert steel shot load someday. They still kill ducks fine. Also, Winchester makes square steel shot pellets and charges a premium for them. I have see buddies kill geese with those Blindside shells in a blizzard with no problems.

· Registered
3,066 Posts
Over all the Federal top gun is the best, Then winchester super x,followed by Winchester super target/universal. This all assumes you can not get Remington Gun club,Game load, etc.

· Registered
3,066 Posts
I feel that the chart above is out of date and very subjective any way. Remington,Federal and Estate all currently use the same shot. With STS and HOA getting a higher anatomy content.

· Registered
12,309 Posts
I feel that the chart above is out of date and very subjective any way. Remington,Federal and Estate all currently use the same shot. With STS and HOA getting a higher anatomy content.
Feelings don't count, facts do The chart was compiled in 2017 by a trapshooters.com member and was/is anything but subjective.

Interesting factory shell information

Vista Outdoor owns Federal, Remington and Estate. Federal and Estate shotshells are made in Federal's Anoka, MN plant while Remington shotshells are made in Remington's Lonoke AR plant. Does that mean they all use the same shot, excepting STS and HOA? If so, is it all soft 1.74% antimony shot?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts