Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being as both are now under one holding company and both use an abbneration of the original SX-1 action , has anyone done enough "handling" of both to describe if they feel very similar to each other --- or very different ?

The "feel" of an 1100 is very different from an SX-1 ; the "feel" of an 11-87 is almost the same as an 1100 . The feel of a 3-series Beretta is different from all of the above . To me anyway .

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
My buddy has a SX2 3 1/2" and I have a Gold 3 1/2". They have a very similar feel and balance to me. The forearms have a slightly different shape. The biggest difference is the rib height. They both have the same stock specs with the 3 1/2" models.The SX2 sporting models have more drop at the heel than the Gold sporting models. Weight wise they are similar with comparable models.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Bought an X2 with sporting clays stock and compeition (lower rib) because I liked the tighter radius of the pistol grip on the X2 when compared to the more open Browning Gold grip.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks , Guys , I am a long time SX-1 lover --- bought my first after reading Bob Brister's (God rest his soul) tome in the early '80s .

But , the lure of a 6 3/4 # auto-jammer that will stand up under high(er) volume shooting REALLY appeals to one about to start his 80th decade on planet Earth . I can "stomach" STS heavy loads 'cause my SX-1 doesn't punish me the way a Citori
with lighter loads does ---- and I re-checked my re-check of a couple of weeks back .

But , boy ! a tight -wad like me really hates the thought of buying a nice looking well received gun that is un-shouldered gives me the "runs" --- and not the type you like to see on a score card . And, in this backwards market , I have seen only one SX-2 and that was in passing about 2 years ago .

The tech guy(s) at Winchester/Browning -- well , they say that any difference between the SX-2 Sporting and the SX-2 Elite Lite field shouldn't affect the way the Elite responds to high volume shooting . Well , the Gold Hunter I used to own would have a hard time standing up to the punishment that a pip-squeak SCs shooter like me has imposed upon my SX --- and under some pressure the techie said --- yeah , the Gold Sporting Clays was introduced to make high volume shooters feel more comfortable .

WILL SOMEONE please tell me where "high volume shooting" begins ?

The old adage is still true , "Experience is quite expensive".

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I consider around 5,000 rounds or more a year to be high volume.

You must have had a Gold that was older. Browning made a few updates to them a few years back to correct some issues they were having.

These SX2 models also come with shims to adjust fit which will also reduce felt recoil.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I double checked and they do not fit. Too bad as it's a good feature. Winchester does not feel that their shim system would stand up to the recoil from 3 1/2" loads. They changed the surfaces on the stock and receiver on the sporting models just enough to so they won't work on the field models.
The next time the stock is off my buddies SX2, I'll see if a Gold shim will fit.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Worc,

Let's muddy the water a bit. The X2 I have with its sporting clays wood stock and 3.5" receiver has the "interface" to take the SC gun shims...got a positve answer from USRAC when I called gave them the SN and bought my shims.

I made the call after looking at all of the hunter X2's I could find and found that they all had neutral cast spacer between the stock and the back of the reciever.

It looks like somewhere between intro in 2004 and now the back of the receiver has changed.

Oh, well...glad to have mine it works well from clays to canadian geese. I hope these guys stablize thier product line as the churn must be getting some customers confused.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fish Springs ,

Did you buy a Sporting Clays stock for your SX-2 or were you able to special order the gun with the stock ?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Gordon,

It came with the sporting clays stock and "c" competition rib. I really like the stock and I guess you could call USRA and ask if they have a wood set to sell.

My X2 was one of a short run of Shot Show promo guns from 2004. Occasionally I see one on the gun auction sites but have only seen one other in Houston.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fish Springs,

You sound like a guy who was at the right place at the right time and acted with conviction ---

I've been at the right place at the right time -- but was like that Navy Testing Ground ---- "NOBALLS ATOLL" .

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Charlie, I hate to see you going thru so much grief over a gun, ya want me to send you one of my 59's til you make up your mind?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Geee Steve , You continue to raise the bar in demonstrating concern for a fellow shooter . However , I'll have to pass on your generous offer .

My problem is not a gun --- my problem , right now , is spending the better part of a grand on a gun I have not "seen" --- part of the Navy Testing Grounds symptoms . Can't blame that on TTT --- been chicken way too long for that and too old to worry about treating disease --- I'll just put some sauve on one symptom .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts