Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jewellery Audio equipment Auto part Metal Door

Could a Winchester SXP owner do me a solid and remove their barrel and look to see if this is how the barrel normally looks? Like to me the larger outside circle looks off but could be how it should look with the rotating bolt, but the smaller inner circle makes it look like the metal there is like broken away and chipped down.

It was driving me so insane I drove to my local sporting goods store and took the barrels of 2 SXPs (they were 12 gauge, mine is 20 gauge but I doubt that would make a difference) and those barrels looked like the area between 3 o’clock and 6 o’clock it you imagine the barrel as a clock, maintain the same curve with no chip missing at that 3-4 o’clock area. Does that make sense?

It makes me wonder if I chipped/folded the metal back trying to get a Q-tip town there because there was some rust in the well there between the inner and outer barrel.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
It doesn't look chipped. when they masked the barrel to be chrome lined, they got the mask a little close to the chamber. At least that is how the picture looks.

If you can feel a rough edge as you move from 2:30 to 4:00 o'clock than it might be chipping. If you can lift the edge, it wasn't cleaned properly before plating.

Since it is a rotary bolt there should not be only plating on the face.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's perfectly normal. That recess at the 3 to 5 location is clearance for the extractor to rotate in when the bolt opens and closes. That place you think is a chip is a ramp that keeps the extractor from slamming into a square edge when closing the bolt. It's all good. Just shoot it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts