Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Winchester Universal shells sold in the 100 pack in WalMart are junk. I bought a bunch last year when shells were hard to get, and I was using them up for league shooting and dumping the hulls. They are all gone and I am not going to buy anymore. Steve

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
grizquad said:
The Winchester Universal shells sold in the 100 pack in WalMart are junk. I bought a bunch last year when shells were hard to get, and I was using them up for league shooting and dumping the hulls. They are all gone and I am not going to buy anymore. Steve
+! !

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Those Winchester offerings will not work well in some guns..... While they do seem to shoot good there are a lot of extraction problems. My Daughters 1100 trap will not extract some and will not eject any. My 1100 Competition Synthetic handles them just fine while my Diamond Grade will not extract about 25%. A friends older BT99 will not extract any. They do seem to shoot just fine. Larry

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have had damaged cartridges, bobbled crimps and torn rims in 20 gauge Winchester Universals. They have a pretty sad lack of quality control. They do go bang every time, but that seems a sad low standard for shotgun ammunition.
I have not had the same issue with damaged Super Target cartridges based on a few flats.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Sobrepuesta said:
Cerberus said:
leadshot said:
Does anyone have information about the difference between the Winchester Universal and the super target shell.
The name printed on the hull.
Anecdotal evidence in this forum says they are not the same, and that one is markedly better than the other.
Please be more specific. They use the same hull and same components and offer a similar range of shot sizes and weights.

One thing the OP didn't specify is what differences he is asking about. Factory load performance? Reloadability and/or data?

I assumed reloadability and data and gave that answer. I may have missed his question.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Universals can make it near impossible to shuck the slide on any one of my family's 870s (All Wingmaster 12 ga. except for one super mag). They're the only loads that don't reliably cycle my 11-48. The super targets can be a little sticky sometimes but no where near as bad as the Universals. The super target works fine in my 1100 and 11-87 (both 12 ga.) and I never bothered buying more Universals to try in them. I enjoy the Super Speed Xtra from Winchester but Federal and Rio are my go to cheap shells.

·
Registered
320 Posts
They could be the same shells but with different levels of quality control. Hornady Custom and American Gunner lines share the exact same loadings but the Custom loads have stricter QC. Same with normal vs. "premium" primers. It could be tolerances or it could be how often they perform random checks on different lots.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry guys I should have been more specific. I'm asking if one is better than the other as new shells. Factory loads. What's in them? What wad, Powder, how hard is the shot, etc; I don't care about reloading either. I just wanted some good quality, inexpensive 1 1/8, 8s, 1145-1200fps. The universals I don't partially like, I've not had a good round with them yet, I'm not familiar with the Super Target shells for there component quality,, but there not much more money than the Universals and less than the AAs.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
leadshot said:
Sorry guys I should have been more specific. I'm asking if one is better than the other as new shells. Factory loads. What's in them? What wad, Powder, how hard is the shot, etc; I don't care about reloading either. I just wanted some good quality, inexpensive 1 1/8, 8s, 1145-1200fps. The universals I don't partially like, I've not had a good round with them yet, I'm not familiar with the Super Target shells for there component quality,, but there not much more money than the Universals and less than the AAs.
Same wads, same powder, same shot. Winchester shows the Super Target in their "best value" category. That's where the Universals used to be and I didn't see them on the Winchester ammo website.

·
Registered
835 Posts
leadshot said:
So there's no advantage in using Super Targets over Universals? Except the Super Targets cost more?
Super Targets come in 3 dram 1 1/8 oz, 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz and 2 3/4 dram 1 oz. You can get them with 7 1/2, 8, 9 lead shot and 7 steel shot. I've only seen Universals in 3 dram 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 or 8 shot.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Slidertom said:
Cerberus, You mention "same wads, same powder, same shot" as in Super Target. How do you know that to be true? Just curious.
I've opened up expamples of both, plus the Super Speeds. They are loaded in the Universal-type hull, use AA wads, ball or flattened ball powders and non-descript shot that is more or less uniform in size. I don't measure shot size in any load or bag, just look to see if it looks all the same.

I don't shoot either one as a factory load unless some come my way at a good price or someone gives me a box in trade when I let them shoot one of my guns.

You are welcome to try this yourself. Have someone cut open one of each and drop the components onto different plates without the hulls. See if you can pick which is which.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Cerberus is correct and other than the things I mentioned they are for all practical purposes the same, only the name and package change. The same thoughts apply to Federal Field & Target, US made Estates, Top Gun shells. Manufactures learned long ago how to cover many areas of the market with the same product by changing names and packaging.

·
Banned
3,014 Posts
Rack-N-Roy said:
Cerberus is correct and other than the things I mentioned they are for all practical purposes the same, only the name and package change. The same thoughts apply to Federal Field & Target, US made Estates, Top Gun shells. Manufactures learned long ago how to cover many areas of the market with the same product by changing names and packaging.
Funny thing is, I get my Estate Super Sporting at Academy for a buck a box less than they sell the Federal Top Gun stuff.

:lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.