Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any downside to using a shorter barrel for waterfolwing. Do high velocity loads gain enough speed in the 24" barrel?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Speed isn't an issue. To gain full velocity all they need is around 18 inches. With the shorter barrel your swing will stop quicker and not give you the sighting radius you might want. Its still possible to use it. You could buy another barrel 28" to 30'".

·
Registered
273 Posts
I use a short barrel, youth gun, daughters,for hunting waterfowl. It works great when you don't have time or the chance to take a good stead swing on a target i.e. woodies and teal zipping along a small river, mostly snap shooting method. Birds are there and gone before you can bring the gun up, due to the trees, which practially touch from side to side of river. You get a very small hole to shoot through.

On the longer passing shots I use a longer barrel. 32 inch for pass shooting geese and 28 inch for over decoys when I have a steady place to stand.

Out of the canoe I use the short barrel due to constraints on mobility, pretty hard to do alot of swing side to side, field of swing is limited, canoes tip from experience.

WEARING LIFE PRESERVERS SAVES LIFE. WEAR ONE!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.