Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
I read about them a few months ago and they sounded like a good shell. I believe they are buffered? For that price I'd order online and get some BOSS or Kent instead. The only other option I can think of is Hevi Bismuth, but I'm not sure about the Hevi brand.

·
Registered
13,749 Posts
First I seen those.

I have used the hevi-brand one ounce bismuth in 28ga, I like it . but now they only make 7/8oz. Still got about four boxes left. The pellets are rounder and smoother than Kent's bismuth, and the payload was only a hair light.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I haven't had the need for Bismuth for years since I quit hunting wild pheasant in places where it was required. I've got plenty of #5 Bismuth reloads and Bismuth shot leftover if I start up again, which is likely this fall. My reloads were all about 1225 fps. I wouldn't feel the need for 1450. But like I said, my quarry was pheasant, not waterfowl. I used steel for waterfowl. I also have some commercial Bismuth #4, 1 3/8 oz., at 1330 I bought cheap, which I'll use.

If I were to use Bismuth for waterfowl, unless there's new ballistic data available confirming the benefit, I'd never go up to 1450. My Bismuth bagged shot and commercial loads are all first generation manufacture. I am cognizant of fracturing, hence another reason for less than hyper speed.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Same price as hevi around here. Why not, looks like a good shell. I cant justify spending +2.00 a shell for bismuth but plenty can.

·
Registered
Benelli SBE, Savage Fox 16, Browning Citori
706 Posts
Currently the prices are roughly $2/lb lead. $2.50/lb steel. $13/lb bismuth $50/lb tungsten. A box of bismuth 1 3/8oz shells would cost almost $30 in pellets alone. Steel $4 a box again just for pellets. I’m curious what the ballistics gel comparisons are for steel/bismuth.

·
Registered
13,749 Posts
Doug MO, bismuth shot makes steel shot look like worthless crap. Sometimes it takes three or four or even more steel shells to do the same job that might have been done with one bismuth shell. Bismuth is about 1-1/4 times denser than steel. So if you got a steel pellet that weighs 2 grains a bismuth pellet of equal size would weigh 2-1/2 grains but have the same ballistic resistance of as the less dense steel pellet. - same mass at greater density equals deeper penetration at equal velocity.

When you consider that a box of Kent steel shot is now up to $24, the Winchester bismuth is about the same cost bismuth shells always were- 2-1/2 to 3 times the cost of steel.

Reactions: Lawrence1

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I guess I'm not prepared for the "new normal". Steel is garbage, but I still use it for snows every year. It was reasonably cheap. I have allot of Boss, longshot/wads/bismuth left. But idk if I have a 30-40yr supply... Oh well. We'll all be eating "plant based" protein soon anyway....

·
Registered
13,749 Posts
I found a gel test online the bismuth penetrated 3” at 40 yards and the steel penetrated 2”.

That sounds about right. I have never tested anything ever with ballistic gel.

But I saw a video, once. :)

#4 bismuth at 1,350fps and #2 steel at around 1450 have near the same penetration. SWG user Randy Wakman has done testing with loads of all kinds, and I think he has access to s ballistics computer, (the decimal fractions give it away) so you might ask him for the real life, not quite guessing answers.

See that's the gimmick- you might think with bismuth you get less pellets per an ounce of same sized shot. And you do. But because of the improvement in penetration you can go down one size from steel and yet have more pellets with greater penetration than steel one size bigger.

Where it gets really crazy is with tungsten shot. You might use 7.8 gram per a cubic centimeter (g/cc) steel shot size BB, which runs out of enough oomph for canada geese at around 35-40 yards. With 18g/cc #7 (yes, #7) tungsten you can whack a canada as far as you can choke it, maybe 60 yards or more. But, it'll cost you a bunch of money to use it.

·
Banned
666 Posts
Currently the prices are roughly $2/lb lead. $2.50/lb steel. $13/lb bismuth $50/lb tungsten. A box of bismuth 1 3/8oz shells would cost almost $30 in pellets alone. Steel $4 a box again just for pellets. I’m curious what the ballistics gel comparisons are for steel/bismuth.
Where do you find bismuth for $13/lb?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Have used the old Winchester Bismuth shells.Worked great and a vast improvement to any steel loads I have tried.Will try the new Winchester Bismuth shells,if I can get my hands on any.:)

·
Registered
13,749 Posts
Have used the old Winchester Bismuth shells.Worked great and a vast improvement to any steel loads I have tried.Will try the new Winchester Bismuth shells,if I can get my hands on any.:)
How's the weather up north 28 gauge?

I hope Winchester makes their bismuth in 28ga. . 7/8oz of #5 would do nicely, so long as it ain't European sized shot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts