1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which gun would you guys choose a
1 Wingmaster with a smoothbore barrel form the early 90
2 Deerslayer with a smoothbore barrel from the 70 made in Ithaca NY
I can get them both for 350.00 and are both in good shape. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
503 Posts
mike88 said:
Which gun would you guys choose a
1 Wingmaster with a smoothbore barrel form the early 90
2 Deerslayer with a smoothbore barrel from the 70 made in Ithaca NY
I can get them both for 350.00 and are both in good shape. Thanks for the help.
IMO it's a no brainer. Go with the Deerslayer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
does the deerslayer have a 20" barrel? having shot multiple deerslayers i would not hesitate to go with the ithaca over the remington. i have yet to see one that did not group exceptionally well with multiple brands of foster style slugs. i did have one that had a 26" barrel and found it did not shoot as well so i replaced it with a 20" barrel. it groups nicely now. i will admit, i have not fired any 870s, but i have had no reason to even consider trying anything else over the last 10 years.

if you want to shoot sabot slugs you can go to the 870 like jc suggested, as tar-hunt has a wonderful reputation, but dont forget ithaca made/makes dedicated slug guns.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Deerslayer all the way man it's the best bang for your buck. If you decide to go rifled barrel you can send it to Ithaca in Ohio and get a new rifled barrel cheaper than a Tar-hunt upgrade on an 870.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to get the Deerslayer and he sold it but he has another one that has a 24 inch riffled barrel that was made in King Ferry NY. I think I have heard that the guns made there were junk as far as quality. It pumped smoother than the Wingmaster and It was in the same condition so I guess my new question is, Is the quality not as good as the ones made in Ithaca NY. Thanks again

·
Registered
53 Posts
My friend has 3 Ithaca M37's. Two of them drop shells when they're fired from the recoil and/or after he's pumps a new round into the chamber. I've heard that's common when they start to wear. His other one works fine as does mine. Just something to keep in mind. Mine is a 12 ga. that was made in 1972 (it's older then me :mrgreen: ), I looked it up through Ithaca a few years ago.

The Model 37 is my favorite pump shotgun followed closely by the Browning BPS (which I've never owned) as far as the way they feel. They fit me really well. With the 20 inch smooth bore slug barrel, mine will shoot 4 inch groups at 50 yards with a few different brand of foster style slugs. It kicks like a mule though.

I owned a 870 Express 12 ga. before. I sold it because I liked the Ithaca better. It was a good shotgun, I never had any trouble with either. They're both great shotguns. I would get the one that feels the best to you. Just my $0.02. Good luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
there is talk of the decline in quality and the fit and finish of those guns is not as good as it was before then. however, they are still smooth guns. the issue of dropping shells is not common, but does happen time to time on some guns. it is a simple fix and you can jump over to the "i love my....ithaca" board and this topic is covered. in fact a gentleman just posted about fixing the problem himself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
dougers said:
there is talk of the decline in quality and the fit and finish of those guns is not as good as it was before then. however, they are still smooth guns. the issue of dropping shells is not common, but does happen time to time on some guns. it is a simple fix and you can jump over to the "i love my....ithaca" board and this topic is covered. in fact a gentleman just posted about fixing the problem himself.
The shotguns made in 1972 have declining quality?

Thanks for the info on fixing them. I'll let my friend know where to look so he can fix his 2. I don't know what year his guns are.

·
Registered
484 Posts
My gun is an 83 Kings Ferry gun. The only proble I have had with it was. A broken extractor spring and the bolt to hammer clearn=ance was so tight that it slowed the hammer apon firing and would not fire winchester slugs well. I took my gun to Diamond Gunsmithing in Ithaca NY, it;s run by Les hovencamp he used to work for Ithaca when it was in Ithaca and he hooked me up for less than $100 and that included a goos cleaning and lightening the trigger pull. It shouldn't be a back gun.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I guess we can assume both of those guns are 12 ga. I have an Ithaca 37 16 ga of slightly older vintage (Ithaca NY manufacture), and it is a real nice smooth gun. One problem I have with it, is a tremendous recoil. Unlike some other manufacturers, Ithaca made the whole gun around the 16 ga shell, so the gun is nearly as light as a 20, yet fires slugs packing energy equal to a 12. That is a sure-fire recipie for a sore shoulder. This won't be a problem with a much heavier, bulked up 12 gauge gun. If you are left handed, then the bottom ejection of the Ithaca is a nice feature. Being a righty however, I prefer the side ejection of the 870 as it is easier to be sure the gun is safe and unloaded. I also have an 870 of that vintage and without a doubt, the machined Ithaca is a much finer piece of craftsmanship than the stamped-out Remington. Certainly the Ithaca was far more expensive to produce but that does not necessarily translate to greater dependability or accuracy. My Wingmaster and Deerslayer have both been completely troublefree (except for the couple years when I tried a cantelever barrel on the Wingmaster - biggest mistake I ever made with a deer gun), and both shoot well to about 75 yards (aprox 5 in group from rest) with smoothbores, Winchester fosters, and open sights. These are my (2) favorite all-time pump shotguns and I would have a tough time picking a favorite. I guess I would give a slight edge to the Ithaca because I killed my first deer with one, and it is just so darn smooth.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I would avoid a Kings Ferry Ithaca if were a 20ga. I put a lot of work into my DS2 to get it where it should have been right out of the box. It's plenty accurate, but spitting shells from the mag tube into the dirt makes you want to pull your hair out. Still not sure if I trust it in the field. Even though I got it reliable and smoothed the action out, I'm soured on it. I'll probably tote my Pintail into the field for gun season. If I keep it I'm going to cut and target crown the barrel at 20", get a walnut monte-carlo stock, and have the metal refinished in black teflon or better parkerizing. I'm not sure if the initial quality of the gun justifies the added work to get it where I'd like it to be.

Meantime, I've aready started my next slug-gun project. I just finished inletting a 12ga Wingmaster TB Trap stock to fit my 870 20ga. I'm hoping to come up with a 870 SP Deluxe Deer when it's finished. It definately won't be ready by November gun season.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.