Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Horse Hockey!
Recoil is a result of the mass of the payload, the powder charge, and the weight of the gun.

In other words if the Wingmaster and the Express weigh the same, and given similar stocks, i.e. both wood, or both synthetic they should be very close, and using the same ammo in both there would be no difference in recoil.

Perceived recoil is a bit different. Same story, if you are shooting a Remington 1100, and a Wingmaster, and they weigh the same the recoil is the same. However, because of the gas system, the 1100 will give the perception of less recoil than the Wingmaster, because the recoil is spread out over time as several pulses.

Also, if the butt plate is much larger on one gun than the other, everything else being equal, the recoil will be the same, but the perceived recoil will be more on the gun that presents less surface area to the shoulder.

Go for a used Wingmaster, because they are really great shotguns. Especially if you can find one that is in really nice shape. However, difference in recoil...I'll bet if blindfolded you couldn't tell the difference between a Wingmaster and an Express. I mean, actually they are the same gun except for a few parts and the finish.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I do own both, but my Wingmaster is a 20 ga., and my 2 Express models are both 12 ga. so I can't make a real side by side comparison. However, I have shot many many different shotguns in all gages and of all designs over the last 45 years, and I'll be darned if I can see a great deal of difference in recoil between them, given same gage, same ammo, etc. I mean if I am shooting x ammo in a 12 ga., I can tell precious little difference between let's say, this pump, that pump, an O/U, a SxS, etc. Now, with a gas operated gun I will be able to tell a bit of difference.

Maybe I'm just an insensitive clod, but I would be very surprised indeed if I could tell the difference.

Hopefully, someone with both will chime in. I'm curious too, now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.