Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have cedar siding and the wood peckers love putting holes in my house. I have used a 22 with bird shot very effectively but lost my right eye and can't see to shoot a rifle. So went to a pistol but I'm getting as many misfires as any.
Thinking of going to a .410 bird shot shotgun. Crazy???? Help

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Borrow a neighbor's .38 Special and go to your nearest ammo shop and buy some CCI shot cartridges. Deadly and you don't have to do much aiming. I use them for snakes and other vermin.

A 410 may put more holes in your siding than the woodpeckers.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Ummmm...woodpeckers are federally protected under the North American Migratory Bird Act. There may or may not be some remedy available for a permit - but - you must work through the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Your NC DNR (or whatever it's called there) may be able to help you work with the feds. To make it more complex, some woodpeckers in eastern NC are endangered species, so it seems unlikely to me there could be a permit because of the difficulty of ID'ing species.

The list of birds we can legally shoot is very, very short. Big, big trouble.

W

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
As mentioned above, there are laws against the killing of songbirds and they carry hefty fines when caught.

First off, your problem is not with individual woodpeckers otherwise it would have gone away when you killed the original ones. As the problem persists, it likely is you.

First thing to do is to verify you have been keeping up on the care of your shingles. Insects love to infest cedar shakes and if you have been lax on maintaining them, you are looking at other problems besides woodpeckers. This very common as cedar requires a lot more work and expense which few stay on top of.

It is possible the birds are marking territories which is a seasonal event. You will see this spring and fall though damage is generally light. Major holes is more as sign of feeding or nesting with the latter occurring in spring rather than fall.

My experience has been insect infestation when woodpeckers become a regular problem. Food is the one thing which attracts multiple animals, even when some are removed. Fix that and your problems will decrease significantly.

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
Here is one solution-

Somebody some place makes these mechanical spiders that work off a Clapper™ kind of switch. They go in a shoebox size cedar box on your siding and when something knocks the rubber spider will drop out of the box a couple of feet, then reel itself up back up into the box. I have seen them work.

No, I am not kidding.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Shooting woodpeckers, or any songbird, is a recipe for serious trouble and big fines.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I used to have lots of issues with downy wood peckers drilling holes in my cedar siding. They bored multiple holes 1.5" or so in diameter.
I sure don't think they were going after insects as the house is almost 30 years old and there is no evidence of insect damage. I had to plug numerous wood pecker holes with plastic wood.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Some infestations are rather benign and do not cause damage in and of themselves. A good example, at least up here, are Eurasian Ladybug/ American Ladybug and Box Elder beetle infestations. These insects do not damage the building but they sure are numerous.

In the case of your house, odds are some insect was laying eggs or morphing under the shingles. I had such a happening with the pine boards hiding the steel pillars on my porch. Some sort of insect had gotten between the board edges and laid eggs on the backside. Woodpeckers of various types realized this and pounded holes through the boards to reach the larvae inside. Repainting filled the gaps between the boards and the problem disappeared for a few years until the paint peeled from the seams. Now, I repaint more regularly as that is easier than replacing and then painting chewed up boards. I'm guessing something similar was the issue with your house and it disappeared once maintenance was done to the shingles.

·
Registered
27,084 Posts
My wife's utility company has issues with them and their wood power poles. Asphalt/pitch applications, wrapping in chicken wire and other "remedies" really do not work. As others have said, best to contact F&W in your area - they may have a solution.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
+1 on the owl decoy AND, new to us was application of a product named 'BoricCare'

We have always had problems with errant woodpeckers but, doing more damage were the wood borer (big-*ss "bumble") bees!

A pest control company we have a LOT of proven faith in, came and applied the BoricCare and, true to their word, the wood actually absorbs the stuff!

Anyhoo, sure enough, no more borer bees but, going on 9-months now and not a single woodpecker, either.

After the pest control pros left, I googled the stuff and you can Amazon it to your front door.

Hand pump sprayer, a ladder and a warm day and your in like Flynn!

Best o' Success!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.