Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I bought a Stoeger 2000.

I've been enjoying the hell out of it, and my scores have been rising steadily.

I sort of half-jokingly said that if I could get my SC scores into the 60's before the end of the year, I'd buy myself a nicer gun in December.

Well, here I am in November, and I'm shooting in the 60's pretty consistently, and the pro shop at one of the ranges had this Benelli Supersport 30" that just really spoke to me.

I know there's the whole "pride of ownership" angle, and the supersport looks really hot....but is it really going to have a significant effect on my scores? ....cause ~$1600 is an awful lot of money for a prettier gun. I already have an inertia drive gun, my scores are still improving, and I have no complaints.

So...am I just losing my mind and just looking for an excuse to spend lots of money, or is there really a difference, or both?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Welcome to the world of the shotgun addicted. Repeat after me, I do not need a reason to buy a new gun and I can never have too many.
Welcome to the club :!: :wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you upgrade to the super sport, it will not only make you a better shot; but it will also break clays on the neighboring skeet field just because it can.

The super sport only shoots "clay seeking" pellets.
The super sport can tame a wild tiger.
The super sport will bring about world peace.
Chuck Norris is afraid of the super sport.

:lol:

Get it, you don't need a reason.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what's a good target price for this thing?

I'm getting $1600 at the local pro shops and retailers for the synthetic/comfortech version. Am I likely to do better?

One of the shops throws in a free gun fitting - they'll take some time and make sure the gun is shimmed/padded right and points well before I walk out of the store.

Should I be looking/asking for a better price?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got mine in the classifieds here on this forum. Advertised as new in box, never been fired (except at the factory) and in 100% perfect condition. I found that statement to be exactly true after taking delivery. I paid $1375 shipped for a super sport, not a sport II. I think I got a steal of a deal, but the best I saw in a store was $1590ish at sportsmans warehouse.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I went to the range and rented one today.

It was one of the most disappointing things I have ever done. I shot one of the worst games of my life. I just couldn't get the gun to point. Ever time I called for the bird and mounted the gun, I'd have to find the rib, make sure it's flat...then find the bird, check the rib again...and it wouldn't stay put! Also, the recoil was WORSE than it was on my Stoeger 2000 with limbsaver pad, and it was LOUD because of the porting.

The gun just doesn't fit me.

I know it's adjustable, but now I'm a bit wary of dropping $1600 on a gun that I MIGHT be able to get to fit me. It looks fantastic, and I can see and feel the higher quality...but the bottom line for me is that I just couldn't hit a damn thing with it, and my sub-$400 Benelli clone works better.

I've always thought that when I got better I would reward myself with a Benelli, but now....I don't know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too got worse with the Benelli at first. I am a longtime Auto 5 shooter and I don't miss much with them. I got the SS and was a little disappointed at first, but have come to love it. I just had to get used to it.

If you shoot better with the stoeger, keep it, save the money... But be warned, Chuck Norris fears no Stoeger. :wink:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bird_dog0347 said:
I too got worse with the Benelli at first. I am a longtime Auto 5 shooter and I don't miss much with them. I got the SS and was a little disappointed at first, but have come to love it. I just had to get used to it.

If you shoot better with the stoeger, keep it, save the money... But be warned, Chuck Norris fears no Stoeger. :wink:
I bet Chuck Norris shoots 1 oz. loads and wants to see 1 1/8 oz. loads banned from competition because he is old weak and flabby.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Let me quote Oscar Wilde here:

The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it
No wiser words have ever been spoken.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.