Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Remington 3200, 26" skeet gun. Last year I invested a bunch of money in upgradeing the receiver face, new internal parts, stock bedding and the usual receiver bluing. At the 3200 people at Liab's. So the gun is in great shape especially for the number of rounds fired though it in the last 30 years. This will be/is a didicated skeet gun with the occasional 5 stand and 16 yd trap game thrown in for fun. Now for the question.

I truly want the gun to have 30" barrels. While talking with Liad's last year they said that they still have 30" barrels available. ........... But they are not cheap and they are trap barrels. 3200 trap ribs are not high, as trap barrels go, no higher than I've seen some high end skeet gun ribs, so I don't believe thats a problem. So this is whats running around in my largely empty head.

Have Liab's fit a set of 30" barrels. These are fixed choked barrels so I'd have them choked IC/IC. I think IC/IC would be good because IC is plenty open for a 12 ga skeet gun and I would like to shoot some 5 stand and a little more choke than SK would not hurt at all. This would not be a cheap thing to do at darned near $1,000, but I can't afford a high end gun. Well I guess I am sort of backing into a fairly high end gun, but I also believe the 3200 is well worth the effort. So, is this a good idea or should I be going down another path?

·
Registered
512 Posts
If it's what you want do it. You may never get your investment back on it but it will give you many more years of shooting pleasure.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
I would get the barrels fitted to the gun you have. You already have a lot of money into the gun that you would not recoup if you were to sell it today; what you have done is much like getting a tune up and new tires to sell your car. Since you obviously enjoy your 3200 and have reconditioned it to last you numerous years, it would only make sense to add to your gun's versatility and your enjoyment of using it. $1000 is not truly expensive compared to a high end gun, take that money and what you could get for sale of the 3200 and you would be in the low mid-range of competition guns and be only one of many similar guns rather than the unique gun it is today. It would be nice to have a gun that I could pick out of the rack with just a casual glance rather than the piece of tape I now need to distinguish it from the herd.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Since you will still have the 26" skeet barrels, I'd seriously consider IC/MOD if you're getting fixed chokes in the 30" set. In my estimation, it's a better choice for most 5-stand setups, and the MOD will work just fine for 16-yard trap... it'll even work pretty well back to the 22 or 23 with 1-1/8 oz loads.

The best bet, however, is to see if you can get the 30" set with choke tubes. I don't know if the barrel is heavy enough to accept choke tubes on the 3200, though.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I got such a good deal on the gun origionally, the money I put into it brought the total I have invested in it up to the going rate for one of these guns, so it is possible to break even on the gun right now.

WWB - yes I considered everything you said. I want this gun to continue to be primarily a skeet gun and 30" long, so I'd like to stick with the open chokes, Right now I do pretty well at trap and 5 stand with the skeet chokes. I've also used my 20 ga and the 870 with tighter chokes for both games, but its hard to beat the 3200 for feel. IC/IC would keep the 3200 squarely in the skeet game, but could do nothing but help for the other games. Eventually I'll have Briley install thin wall chokes, this will make the gun an all around comp gun for me.

uglydog - You are right, $1,000 isn't a lot to spend on a barrel set ..... for those that have truly high end guns that is ..... For me it rides right on the edge between, "yea, that makes sence" and "ARE YOU NUTS?" There is alot of attraction to having a "sorta" custom gun. I shoot with a couple other guys with 3200's on my league team. We have all taken the wrong gun on a couple occasions. Its sorta funny because the three guns aren't actually the same. One is a skeet 28" gun, mine is a skeet 26" gun and the real shooter on our team has a 26" "Competition Skeet" gun. All I could do is smile while the guy with a 28" gun shot an entire station 1 with my 26" gun. He hit'em all but couldn't figure out why the gun felt odd to him. I said, "Hey I'll trade evenup fo your 28" gun" .... Hmmm, it was funny at the time.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I think you have an out standing plan, GO FOR IT :!: :!:
I had Laib's do the breachface on mine also and had plans for longer bbls. Pat Laib and Tom Fox really do outstanding work. However Katrina ate the gun, along with my house and everything else in it. :( :(

New gun is on order and due in this Wednesday. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
My primary gun is a 3200, and I picked it up just this fall. It started out as a Competion Trap grade, 30" IM/F. The previous owner had Laib work his magic on the breachface and firing pins. He also sent it out to Briley. It was backbored, had forcing cones lengthened and a full set of thin walls added. It also has had trigger work done.

To answer wwb, yep, plenty of wall for choke tubes. But I mention all the other stuff that has been done to the gun only since I picked up the gun for just over the $1,000 that is required to fit the 30" barrels. Maybe (well, no maybe about it :D :lol: ) I got a great gun at at great price, but I think you could come close to your investment and pick up an entire gun that would fit your needs. I have seen several 30" fixed IM/F in the $1,200 range on Guns America and GunBroker. You may want to consider that approach as another alternative.

Whatever way you choose to go, the one thing I can say for sure is that you have a great gun (one of the best ever IMO) when you are finished.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
First of all have you ever shot a round or two of skeet with a 30" 3200? My 3200 is 30" and is my main trap gun. I've taken it out on the skeet range a few times just to fool around. One thing I will say is that the 30" barrel on a 3200 makes it a very heavy gun to get started swinging. I found myself shooting way behind the targets until I "accidentally" chipped the back off one and found out what was going on. I really had to work at getting the gun ahead of the target.
The trap barrels don't shoot that high when mounted on a field/skeet stock. I know one guy that has a 30" 3200 Trap that he put a skeet stock on for shooting doubles with.
I'm currently deciding on whether to get a custom 34" uni-single barrel for my 3200 or get a new gun (costs about the same as the gun). I'm leaning towards the new barrel.
Try to shoot a 30" barreled gun before you make up your mind. You've got a great gun no matter what you decide to do

Tim

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am wondering whether putting 30" barrels on your gun will really make that much difference in how you shoot. Is it reasonable to expect that making a change like this will make any appreciable difference? How well do you shoot the gun now with 26" barrels? What if you shoot worse after you spend the $1K.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
mjm 3200 said:
Have Liab's fit a set of 30" barrels. These are fixed choked barrels so I'd have them choked IC/IC. I think IC/IC would be good because IC is plenty open for a 12 ga skeet gun and I would like to shoot some 5 stand and a little more choke than SK would not hurt at all. This would not be a cheap thing to do at darned near $1,000, but I can't afford a high end gun. Well I guess I am sort of backing into a fairly high end gun, but I also believe the 3200 is well worth the effort. So, is this a good idea or should I be going down another path?
If it were me I would buy a semi-auto w/ a full set of removable chokes. I would look at the 11-00, 1187 (both are around $600-$700 new) and the Beretta 391 (around $800 used to $950 new). This way you can take that $1000 for the barrel and convert it into a better all around gun that you can use for: waterfowl hunting, upland hunting, SCs, etc. and still use your 3200 for skeet.

However if you really want the new barrels I would get mod over IC. I would not get a new barrel in IC/IC.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
obx351
Hmmmmmmm - its fairly clear that you simply don't understand. I've got field guns and don't need anymore of those. There is no Semi-auto in the world that will have the feel of a 3200, at least not to me. I want a longer 3200 with just a bit more choke than is standard.

philte - Longer barrels probably won't make that much difference in the way I shoot. I am a fairly agressive shooter, sometimes overly agressive and a little more weight should smooth my swing a little bit. Pluss .... well ..... I just want a longer gun. I've seen pictures on me shooting, the gun looks tiny on my frame. Yes, thats a stupid reason, I know that, but hey what can I say. I also listen to the big guns, probably to much, and they uniformly say, "Go longer".

TReX300 - No, I haven't shot a round of skeet with a 30" gun, I have done it with a 28" gun and didn't see any real difference between my 26" gun and the 28" gun as far as handling was concerned.

balance365 - I jumped on the internet and found just the gun for me. A 30, lowstock, trap gun with the barrels already opened up to SK/IC. The money isn't bad at all, just a few hundred more than the barrel fitting. I've had the Credit Card out a couple of times now, so far restraint has won the day. But it is such a pretty gun and pretty much perfect for what I'm looking for.

MJM

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
mjm 3200 said:
obx351
Hmmmmmmm - its fairly clear that you simply don't understand. I've got field guns and don't need anymore of those. There is no Semi-auto in the world that will have the feel of a 3200, at least not to me. I want a longer 3200 with just a bit more choke than is standard.
MJM
Then you just answered your own question! Get the extra set of barrels w/ ic/ic. As I mentioned I would prefer mod over ic for hunting and 40 yard shots, but it's your gun.

Please let us know what you do! Take care!!

Van

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I guess I did. Especially after calling Liab's and talking to Tom and Pat, I'm going to do the rebarrel for about 1/2 what I thought it would cost. This puts the project right square where I need it to be. All your advice was/is valuable to me and I thank you all.

Coyotes, Ruffed Grouse, Pheasant(sp), all kinds of quail, rabbits and hares, I've killed a ton of stuff with an IC choke. I even gunned at bird dog trials with IC/LM where the LM barrel was rarely needed. Besides that I used IC/IC in a 16ga quite nicely on skeet, so I have great faith in an IC/IC choke. Now if I were after Ducks or being serious about Trap it would be an entirely different story. Besided eventually a set of Briley tubes will go in this gun.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I took the plunge, the guns on its way, the big Brown truck has it and its rumbling its way accross the country to Pat Liab and Tom Fox as I spppp... write.

- New 30" barrels fit to my gun
- Choked IC/IC
- POI @ 60/40
- Stamped with factory serial numbers

And this is the stupidest part of all ..... I miss it already and can't wait until it's safe here at home again. Guns can be like your child in that way. One god thing though, Liabs will turn it around in two weeks or less. A remarkable turn around time really. So by mid January I'll know if I made the right decission or not. ....... Besides, doesn't everyman wonder what he can do with an extra 4". :roll:

·
Registered
493 Posts
mjm 3200 said:
Well I took the plunge, the guns on its way, the big Brown truck has it and its rumbling its way accross the country to Pat Liab and Tom Fox as I spppp... write.

- New 30" barrels fit to my gun
- Choked IC/IC
- POI @ 60/40
- Stamped with factory serial numbers

And this is the stupidest part of all ..... I miss it already and can't wait until it's safe here at home again. Guns can be like your child in that way. One god thing though, Liabs will turn it around in two weeks or less. A remarkable turn around time really. So by mid January I'll know if I made the right decission or not. ....... Besides, doesn't everyman wonder what he can do with an extra 4". :roll:
I know what you are feeling. Can't but wonder how many hands touch the box, some do some don't speculate what is inside and don;t act on the impulse to take a look inside and decide to keep it. I wonder what percentage of firearms mailed never make it to the destination or the round trip back to the owner? Or make the trip damage free?

Can I ask what shipping cost was then added cost of insurance? Really paying attention to shipping cost between carriers for comparison perposes.

Thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I shipped with UPS, I'm shipping for repair to a repair facility so an individual can ship without the usual FFL requirements. Probably because it will go to be repaired and returned to me, the owner, without any ownership transfer taking place. By-the-way, there is no indication on the box that there is a firearm in the box, I even left the "Gunsmithing" off the Liab's title, as they also do.

Total shipping charge was a little over $22 including insurance for $1200. It's interesting to really look at the bill. Theres a Delivery area surcharge, a fuel surcharge (it seems like that would be part of the shipping charge) and a delivery confirmation charge. The actual shipping charge was less than 1/2 the total.

Oh well, no matter I guess, at least they shipped it for me. I did bang my head against the US Postal Service Wall. The "Shipping Regulations" group says that I can ship, but the post office itself says "NO WAY". No suprise there, even the "Shipping Regulations" group said that the reg's are so vague (A firearm can be shipped as long as it meets the requirements set forth in the 1967 Firerarms control act .......but the post office doesn't have a copy of the act and besides they aren't lawyers, essentially, its not their job) that the post office would likely shy away from shipping the package.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts