If you could carry a concealed weapon in your state would you:
Apply and Carry Always24743.95%
Apply and Carry Occasionally19234.16%
Apply and Carry Rarely8414.95%
Not Apply at All396.94%

·
Registered
330 Posts
We have a lot of problems getting any sort of handgun here anyhow, not a snowball's chance in hell of carrying concealed.
If I could tho I whould only very seldom carry in some areas in the city (not that I go into it much).
generally I don't think you would need a gun on our streets,
I still think it's wrong that anyone can make a law that stops me or anyone else that wants to carry a gun.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Getting a CCW and not carrying is like getting a driver's license, a Corvette, and then walking 12 miles to the store every day.

As Americans, we are all entitled to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. It never mentioned the (local, state, nat'l) gov't being able to protect 100% of the population 100% of the time. That means every American is entitled to it, but may have to fight for it at one point or another. We see the lost battles every day. Pick a news channel. Murder, Rape, Kidnappings, those victims are the people who lost the fight for Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Those who are successful are the "near-victims."

Bottom line is that no one knows when they will be faced with that big, ugly 500lb angry gorilla named "Life and Death Situation." So why risk not having the ability beat that 500lb gorilla into submission?

Police are outnumbered by the civilians they have sworn to protect. More than likely they will not be there at the exact moment that they are needed. It's not because they are "on a coffee and doughnut break" like everyone jokes. It's that they are busy attempting to protect the lives of thousands of citizens that they have sworn to protect.

It is the average Americans job to also protect themselves to the best of their ability.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a wonderful point Guardian, thank you! I agree with you and when discussing that very issue with a Law Enforcement individual who opposes (for whatever reason) a citizens right to be armed in public, I ask that very question: "When I or a member of my family is being attacked/raped/murdered/etc, will you be there to protect them?" The answer is usually something like this: "Well the local police take great pride in being very prompt to arrive at a crime scene." To which my reply is: "If I was there and armed, there wouldn't be a crime scene, there would be an 'incidence', and I would be calling you to report an 'incidence' not a necessarily a crime." The conversation usually gets very quiet at about that point...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are you kidding? I'd wear mine 24/7, scrub behind my ears with it in the shower, etc. ;) ha ha
The only thing that has stopped me from getting one so far is the fact that it costs nearly as much as buying a pistol in the first place to get one here in TN. :\
You're looking at every bit of $180+ to get a CCP here. I'm still building up my gun collection right now, but that collection won't be complete until I also have my CCP. We still take our Bersa 380 around with us all over the place anyway, but you have to be VERY careful how you transport it. As long as you keep your bullets in the trunk and your gun in the front, you're pretty much ok here if you get pulled over or something. You get caught carrying one loaded on your hip without a permit though and you're probably at least looking at a fine, if not a misdemeanor offense on your record. I do intend to get one, but first more guns. ;)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Did and always do!!!! Just can't carry in the workplace...Other than that church and few other places. Yep there is always one with in easy reach, never had to pull it but it hascome out of the holster, and into my hand in the truck on a few not so nice moments when I thought there might be a need to be extra careful.
John

·
Registered
20,519 Posts
For me, this is not a hypothetical question. I've had a concealed carry permit for nearly 20 years total in 2 different states. Do I carry a gun on me all the time everywhere I go? No, I don't, but I certainly like having the option to legally carry one if I WANT to. If I'm not carrying a gun on me, I usually have one nearby.

Why don't I carry a gun all the time if I can legally do so? Well, I've come to the conclusion that life has many risks. Being confronted by an armed robber or thug is only one of MANY risks we face daily. Depending on where you live and where you go, many of these risks can be considerably larger than the risk of being confronted by an armed thug. Besides, being armed is not ALWAYS the best choice even if you ARE confronted by armed thugs. If 3 or 4 bad guys armed with sawed-off shotguns burst through the door of the place where you are having lunch and start searching and robbing the customers, are you going to stand up and start shooting? I wouldn't. Are you going to be able to convince them that you are not an off duty cop when they find your gun? If you can do that, then you could sell ice to an Eskimo. :lol: (No offense intended to Eskimo's).

There is also the risk of losing some friends and social acquaintances if they should learn that you are carrying in THEIR home or at certain social events where the worst thing that's likely to happen to anyone is that someone spills a drink on their clothes. Yes, you have a legal right to carry in most of those places, but they also have the legal right not to invite you again to their home or social event. As much as I wish all my friends and acquaintances were pro-gun, that is sadly not the case, and if I should choose to associate only with those who believe as strongly in guns as I do, then I would have a pretty small circle of friends.

So, as with nearly everything in life, there are trade-offs. Gains in one area are often offset by losses in another area. Each person must decide for himself when and where he will carry even if he is legally permitted to do so. My decisions might not be right for you, and vice versa. But I strongly support the right of law abiding citizens to have the RIGHT to carry a concealed weapon.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I carry when I am camping. I am more afraid of bears and other backwoods bad guys than I am when walking downtown. Some robbers think campgrounds, especially the out of the way ones I frequent, are an easy mark. I'd like to see them try!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I almost allways have a shotgun with me when I'm camping on the goldfields or up in the mountains, just in case of freaks on the goldfields and wild dogs in the hills. I almost always do a bit of shooting anyhow wherever I go in the bush :) .

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
8) DITTO to JOHNBOY from the great state of Texas! I unholster to bathe, sleep, enter the workplace, and enter church. Havn't had to draw yet, but did have to display that I was obviously carrying to a couple of lost choirboys around midnight a few years ago.
Tenn. = $180.00! :( That's G//D/// outrageous!!!
///olde pharte from Va.///

G

·
i would apply and carry occasionally. i feel it is one of our right and we have to use it. people wont go on shooting rampages if they no that every1 they r shooting at has a gun.

·
Registered
20,519 Posts
After shooting skeet til dark this afternoon, I stopped at a carryout store on the way home to pick up some beverages. As I got back into my pickup truck, a young (about 15 years old) skinny kid comes up to me and says something about how my truck looked like one that his friend used to have. He walked right up to me and put his hand on my still open driver-side door as if to keep me from closing it. I had a .38 Special stoked with +P hollow points on my right hip hidden by my shirttail. I growled at him in a loud, mean voice, "Get outta here!" He stammered, "What's wrong, blah blah". Again, I repeated, "Get the hell away from my door! I'm leaving!" He back stepped rather quickly mumbling something to himself. I closed the door and locked it and looked around to see if anyone was with him. I didn't see anyone nearby, but there were a couple of older guys across the parking lot. He was still standing in the middle of the parking lot mumbling something as I drove away. While I'm sure I would have had no difficulty in drop kicking his *** across the parking lot, it was comforting to know that I had a little assistance on my hip if some of his older "friends" had decided to intervene. I had even further assistance, if needed, in a Glock .40 S&W in the center console. Yes, I support the right of law abiding citizens to carry concealed weapons. I'm sure that the possibility that some people may be legally carrying a gun prevents many violent crimes that are impossible to tabulate.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Ulysses,

G-27 or G-23? I have a G 23 .40 cal S&W - love it.

Missouri is having a hell of a time getting concealed carry through the goal posts - but I think we'll get there soon.

Gov. taft of Ohio signed the law this weekend. 38th state, I believe.

Mark

·
Registered
20,519 Posts
Mark,

It's the Model 22. Full size pistol. The kind the uniformed cops carry. I've got a couple of 15 round mags that I bought before the mag capacity was limited to 10 rounds by our illustriate ex-president Slick Willy. :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well, I have a CCW and carry most of the time. You will even find my Glock 32 (357 sig) in a C Tac holster on me in the duck blind. I train with it regularly.

There are just too many crack heads and freaks today. While many potential situations can be avoided by being totally aware of your surroundings and those around you, or doing what Ulysses did by taking command of the situation with firm, authoritative action, it only takes being at the wrong place, at the wrong time once without a weapon.

I feel more comfortable knowing that I have the ability to potentially thwart harm to family and friends. I hope it never happens.

As info, one of the proudest moments in my life was watching my wife train with former Navy Seal for combat shooting and self defense. Now she shoots all of the time.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts