Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious:

We were practicing handicap today, I was straight thru post 4 and had already shot 3 (on 4), when I got my thumb (the one I open my o/u with) caught when I closed the receiver (I have no idea why my thumb was on the top of the receiver). Blood and pain yes, but I was shooting. I dropped the next 2 targets due to the pain and figured I only had 5 to go.

I was bleeding pretty good and made the mistake of trying to open my gun with my bleeding thumb (I literally saw stars) - hey, it's an automatic thing! I made myself finish shooting and ran the last post. Everyone saw what I did (the shaking hand in the air was probably a clue) and they said I should've stopped right away and iced it. Although I have to admit, trying to open my gun with the palm of my hand was really difficult, we did finish shooting, I grabbed some ice and was done for the day.

If I was in a shoot, wouldn't I be able to stop, run for a band-aid and keep going, even though it hurt like the dickens?

Would you have continued on? Just wondering, it really didn't seem like that big of a deal...

·
Registered
720 Posts
I was shooting skeet one night, I shoot a Browning A5, when I place the first round in the ejection port I push it all the way into the chamber with my thumb, the finger on my other hand spasmed or maybe it was a brain fart, while my thumb was still in ejection port, luckily for me the extractor broke thru the thumbnail, otherwise I would have been done for the night. Stars tears and blood, picking up the shells to load the gun was no fun at all, I shot 35 or forty birds after I did it.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Since by your name you are female, and you told the story, now if it happened to anyone else who read this, we have no choice. We have to! :lol:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim18611865 said:
Since by your name you are female, and you told the story, now if it happened to anyone else who read this, we have no choice. We have to! :lol:
Not true!!! :lol:

I just found it rather annoying that everyone I was shooting with and my friends behind the line were insisting I stop shooting. I was just wondering if others who have 'injured' themselves while shooting stopped. Of course, there's always the degree of injury to consider, I guess.

As a side note, my thumb is killing me!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, I didn't know blood was that damaging. I was told to immediately wipe off my stock, which I did. Guess I better double check my barrel and the lever as well. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SS said:
Ah 'ya sound like a whining girl. Cowboy up and keep shooting until the round is done. Oops, sorry you are a girl. LOL

Bandaid?
That was my point really - I never really said a word, although it was pretty obvious I was in distress. I showed my squad mates (one included my husband) and they were insisting I stop shooting. I figured it was because I was a 'girl." You big burly trapshooters would never stop for something like this, now would you??? :wink: :wink: :wink:

'course, it could've been cuz I was whupping them! :D

When we were done, I got a bandaid.

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
Gal....you never said if these were registered targets. If the squad was not willing to wait for the wound to be dressed, you could have finish on a practice trap. If you would choose to not finish the round, your score would have been registered as loosing the incomplete targets. Non-registered club targets would be a more flexable decision of management.

I'm still wondering how one gets a thumb pinched in a receiver while closing??????

Looks like to me you did cowgirl-up and made the best of a blond moment. My 80 year old mother always told me that women deal with pain much better than men. Must be true. :lol:

Maltzie

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
maltzahn said:
I'm still wondering how one gets a thumb pinched in a receiver while closing??????
Maltzie, that's the $64,000 question. It was my left thumb and I never put my left hand (or my thumb or fingers) on top of the receiver... I load with the right, open and remove the shell with my left. Go figure.

It was only practice, but I was wondering about a registered shoot. Can you take a minute to get first aid if you need it? Think I'll just start carrying bandaids in my shooting bag - along with the bug spray, sunscreen, lens cleaner, yada yada yada... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
Gal....I just thought all trapshooters carried everything they owned to the line. The bigger the bag - the more they own. :roll:

In registered, squads will wait for 5 minutes or so for a gun failure, first aid, forgot my ammo, whatever. If the delay tends to hold the shoot up, the line official will ask the squad to continue. The shooter having problems can join the squad in later traps, and or finish on the practice trap. Club officials want the shoot to run smooth and for the different events to end at the same time.

maltzie

·
Registered
236 Posts
682;

As some said earlier, if the targets were registered, I would have finished the round...bloody thumb and all.

If it was just practice, I would have politely bowed out.

In a pistol match, my Springfield Armory 1911 lacerated my thumb big time when I racked the slide to clear a jam...you could see the spurt of blood from the parking lot. (The Bomar-copy rear sight blade had a razor edge). I was the only one shooting in a timed event, so I continued, but I don't recall doing well (sold the gun shortly thereafter).

In any event, I think you handled yourself well.

By the way, blood has enough salt in it to be somewhat corrosive.

bluedsteel

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
maltzahn said:
Gal....I just thought all trapshooters carried everything they owned to the line. The bigger the bag - the more they own. :roll:
Sounds like my purse! :D I actually have 2 shooting bags -- one that holds the kitchen sink and one that holds 4 boxes of shells and a couple of little things to take to the line with me. Gotta love it. :lol:

ED/Penna. said:
682......I was just wondering why you didnt wrap it in your excuse towel?.........I thought we all carried one.......LOL
"Excuse towel?" Oh, that's what that's for... :lol:

I can honestly say that it takes 'blood, sweat & tears' to break a decent score! You should see what my formerly 'white' towel looks like now! I purchased a nice navy blue one at my club following all of this! :lol:

Thumb is better, still sore, but hopefully I'll be able to shoot registered this weekend...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
deano2670 said:
I admire your courage to stick with the round even though it was only practice. I only wish I was that tough :!: :D
Not courage -- more like a matter of stubborn pride since I was beating the guys! :wink:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would have probably stopped even at a practice session and most certainly during a registered event just because it would be hard to concentrate on breaking targets with an injury like that and your score is bound to suffer, not to mention it has to be distracting to other shooters, especially friends that are concerned for you. There is also the issue of continuing and risking increasing the severity of the injury, not being as safe as you normally are because you are injured and struggling with the gun, as well as maybe damaging the finish on your shotgun.

Lastly, if it's me, I'm there to break targets and improve my skill, not to impress others with my toughness. As long as I am friendly, polite and a good sportsman, that is all that anyone else has a right to expect.

Good luck and I hope your injury heals well and poses you no future difficulties. :)

G

·
Ya know. Us skeet people use our guns fairly regular and don't cause ourselves no blood or wounds EVER. Less it's some sad-sack trap weiner come over to try their luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.