Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, our Wounded Warrior day at PG Trap and Skeet Center was a stunning success and one of the most personally gratifying activities in which I have had the honor to participate.

We have 12 wounded soldiers from Walter Reed at PG where they were given a day long skeet clinic by John Shima and Todd Bender who donated their time and effort.

The soldiers showed up a bit reserved, not quite hostile but perhaps withdrawn and suspicious at first. By the end of the day, everybody was laughing, trying to out do the other folks, and it looked like we accomplished out goals which were to show them there was life after being wounded, that they can forget about the war and recovery for at least a day, and that their fellow Americans (and skeet shooters in particular) were grateful for their service and sacrifice and cared about them personally.

We had lots of help and sponsors to include Phil Murray and White Flyer for the targets, local shooters for the ammo to include Lt Col (ret) John Waters, Debbi Perry, Murrel Smith, Berle Cherney, Col Scott Rose (MD) and of course PG for the fields and rental guns.

Msgt M. Geiese and his wonderful wife Elisa (who is also in the USAF), were the major organizers and provided the food and management of the event. We had all kinds of helpers including a Marine shooting team member who drove up from Quantico for the event (I'm sorry, can't remember his name). We had all kinds of other helpers including Major John Swidrak, also one of our local shooters and refs and one of the nicest guy you will ever meet.

The skeet community is made up of wonderful people and I'm grateful to have been allowed to play a small part in this fabulous day.

Again, my hat's off to Ralph and Sportsman for their Veteran Day sponsored event and hope that their and Msgt Geise's efforts will become an example that other clubs can adopt in their area for vets and active duty soldiers.

Cheers

·
Banned
3,678 Posts
Congratulations on starting a great idea and I'm glad that everyone had so much fun.

I know at least one disabled veteran that thought he would be limited in life to competing in "wheelchair Olympics" and the "special" events. Then he found skeet and after years of practice he went to a World Shoot and actually won some awards. Not in the concurrent... but in Class!!

Skeet is a great equalizing sport where anyone can be the winner. The vets we honor have always been winners in my book and now they know of a sport where their particular skill set actually gives them a head start on the game.

No matter how our version of Veteran's Day works out in Ohio on Sunday, we already have plans to do it again and hope that other clubs will join in because we can never say THANK YOU enough.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shima instructing a recovering Army reservist

Bender, the scary looking instructor - "you will hit that bird or I will punch you out!" :lol:

And yes folks, that would be me messing up one of the soldier's attempts to learn skeet while Shima was downloading coffee :oops:

Cheers

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Thank you, Stephen, for providing these outstanding gentlemen the opportunity to enjoy the sport we so dearly love. :B3

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Both clubs in OH and in MD serve as examples and inspirations for being thoughtful enough to provide these programs. Perhaps there will be more clubs providing more opportunities to "give back" in the future.

Did our benevelent association contribute to either of these programs?

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lowgun - we definitely would have slotted you in if you weren't spending all of your time with Mickey and the gang in Fla! LOL.

Hope you had a good time, cheers

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Incidentally, am I the only one who thinks the wood on those 1100 Comps is just gorgeous from the factory? Makes me miss mine....

Thanks again Stephen for putting this on for the folks who stand between them and us.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.