Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTB a progressive 410 reloader.

1st choice would be a Grabber, 2nd choice a 650. However, will consider any progressive. I also like the Hornady 366 but this may be a little "pricey".

Please PM me if you have one of these for sale.

Jim Mc

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Jim,
Your going to find that the 410 is one gauge (bore) that needs resizing more than most gauges. If it's purchased hulls or hulls shot in another gun, they are probably gonna need resizing, and if steel case heads, they need it every time.

Therefore the 650 won't get the job done without a Supersizer to go with it. The best of all worlds in my experienced opinion is the Grabber, when loading the 410.

DLM

·
Administrator
23,322 Posts
D L Marcum said:
Jim,
Your going to find that the 410 is one gauge (bore) that needs resizing more than most gauges. If it's purchased hulls or hulls shot in another gun, they are probably gonna need resizing, and if steel case heads, they need it every time.

Therefore the 650 won't get the job done without a Supersizer to go with it. The best of all worlds in my experienced opinion is the Grabber, when loading the 410.

DLM
When I ordered my Mec 9000 in 410 I was really hoping that it would not have any of the problems that the other fellas had. Snapping, cracking, spilling of shot during operation. I was prepared to modify things until all was well.
I am pleased to report that I had none of those problems and that I would suggest a Mec 9000 as a Progressive loader for the 410. It appears that they have resolved those issues that plagued the other guys.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate everyone's suggestions, comments, and private messages. I'm learning about 410 progressive reloading.

I have made a verbal agreement to buy a 410 Grabber. I believe I will like it best of all for the money. 9000 is a little more than I wish to spend.

Some have said that they have problems with using a progressive press on 410 because of the small opening in the dies and hull mouth. Sounds reasonable to me, but I guess I will have to load at a slow, steady pace to avoid problems.

Any comments/tips about loading 410 on a progressive press and avoiding "jams" or ruining hulls by crashing a die or tube into them?

Thanks again for your suggestions and input.

Jim Mc

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
First thing is stay away from Remington hulls. About the 4-5th reload you gonna start having problems with crimps gnarling up. A PITA on a progressive reloader.

Stick with the Winchester AA HS's. You can get 8-12 reloads with beautiful crimps to the end.

Second is ALWAYS, an I mean always, watch for that primer to drop. I had more problems with the primer not dropping than anything else. After I got used to always glancing to make sure I had a primer drop, no problems anymore.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Don for the tip.

I do have a questions r.e. the problem with the crimp gnarling up. Does this cause the press to have a problem, such as the case getting jammed in the die? Spilled shot? Just curious what type of problem it causes.

I'm asking because I have several hundred Remington cases - a couple of hundred STS and the rest the old standard hulls - they are heavy walled. Some of the STS look burned after only three reloads.
Jim

·
Administrator
23,322 Posts
JimMc42 said:
Thanks, Don for the tip.

I do have a questions r.e. the problem with the crimp gnarling up. Does this cause the press to have a problem, such as the case getting jammed in the die? Spilled shot? Just curious what type of problem it causes.

I'm asking because I have several hundred Remington cases - a couple of hundred STS and the rest the old standard hulls - they are heavy walled. Some of the STS look burned after only three reloads.
Jim
If you got em, certainly use them up, just do not buy them new for hulls. Remember that they will use a different wad than the one required for the AAHS hull. Very likely the loader will require different adjustments of the crimp system

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Curly,
Actually the Claybuster HS 410 wad works pretty well in Remington cases, both the Sp and STS cases. Give them a try. I think you will like them. Only case they don't work well in is the AA CF cases.

DLM

·
Administrator
23,322 Posts
D L Marcum said:
Curly,
Actually the Claybuster HS 410 wad works pretty well in Remington cases, both the Sp and STS cases. Give them a try. I think you will like them. Only case they don't work well in is the AA CF cases.

DLM
Thanks, I will. I did measure the wall thickness of the STS down near the bottom and there is more taper than the AAHS, and that was my concern.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Curly,

DLM

Dave,
What's supposed to be wrong with using the Claybuster HS was in the CF AA's. I loaded a handful and they finished beautifully. Haven't shot them, though.

Russ

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Russ,
In my experience the HS wads fit too tight in CF cases. They do not slide down just a little snug, they in fact require some pressure to bottom them.

This might be OK, but I suspect it would cause a rise in chamber pressure, and therefore do not advise using them.

Down Range still makes the excellent PC orange 410 wad, that works very well in the CF cases, abd these are what I suggest using.

DLM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.