Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to find out the year of manufacter for my Fabrique Nationale, Made in Belgium Auto- 5, barrel has a Polychoke. Sr no is 4579xx.

Lynx

MarylandS,

Thank you for your reply, the A5 Fabrique Nationale is made in Belgium, I had got the wrong Sr no. The correct sr no is mentioned above.
thanks

Lynx

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Lynx, in your title you have an "A" before the serial number. in your post you do not have the "A". Which is correct?

"A" in the serial denotes it is a 16 ga. is this correct?

According to the Bluebook and Brownings site, the 1953 production year ended with serial number 43800 after which they went to an alphabetical prefix to their serial numbers.

it is possible the serial number change took place during the production run for 1954 which your gun would be unless the "A" in the title is part of the serial #.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From Browning website. http://www.browning.com/services/dategun/dategun.htm

"While every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided on serial numbers and dates of manufacture are accurate, records on early production models such as the Auto-5 and Superposed shotguns were not included due to the complexity of numbers, models and grades offered. Also, there have been unique limited edition models that did not follow our regular serial number configurations and they are not included in this listing."
The safety is behind the trigger & is part of the trigger guard. The entire action block/receiver is covered in engraving.

Will need to do a search to find all the barrels & stocks (walnut & synthethic) that are available for the A-5.

My A-5 has a horizontal screw in the stock at the end where the action & stock meet, this screw does not appear in the Gun Part corporation catalogue #24A.

Lynx

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Compare Brownings date gun site to this one, that's why I rarely use Brownings, it's incomplete and they hide behind that disclaimer.

http://store.bluebookinc.com/FrameSet.a ... ialize.pdf

Are you positive the screw wasn't a repair put in there by a previous owner?

One thing for is for sure, it had to be made after 1953 even if the disclaimer applies. The safety is a sign of after 1952. If the buttstock still has a round knobbed pistol grip, it's prior to 1967 .

I'm still laying my money on 1954 , why not call the Browning historian, he's been very helpful in the past.

Customer Service
One Browning Place
Morgan, UT 84050
800-333-3288
801-876-2711

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your 12 Ga. Auto-5 was made in 1956 between June 30th and December 31st. The Poly choke may have been installed by Browning or FN or it could have been installed by a number of other sources. The book that Anthony and I are selling gives details on page 107 on how to determine whether Browning or FN installed it.

Regards,
HM
[email protected]
MarlandS,
Got this email, this information is from the new Browning A-5 book.
The stock does have a round knobbed pistol grip. The A-5 has been with the family since it was purchased new by my grandfather. Its is possible that the screw was installed later, but I do not know for sure.

Thank you for all your help. I do not live in the US so cannot call the toll free nos of the Browning historian

Lynx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.