Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I’d like to get an idea of what your thoughts are on the YILDIZ break open shotguns.

I’m new to break barrel shotguns and clay target sports. I believe it’s something that I can grow to really like.

Since my current gun isn’t appropriate for any of the Clay Target shooting, I thought I’d nose around a bit and see what options are available for new shooters to the clay target shooting disciplines.

If you don’t mind, can you please contribute your thoughts and advice about YILDIZ and other so called “affordable” break barrel shotguns?

Thank you for your time and any help you care to give me. Have a nice weekend everyone!!

BD

·
Registered
640 Posts
Just bought my third Yildiz OU today. It's a 28 gauge to go between my 410 and 20. Been shooting my 20 gauge since 2014 with no operational problems. I say that because the finish on the wood will wash off easily which is a problem but not one that will keep it from shooting.

They seem to have a short LOP for me but that is easily fixed by adding a Limbsaver. I used the precision fit on my 410 and 20 but can't remember which model number. After a little research I ordered the 10013 today for my 28

Don't shoot the 20 much as it's mostly a dedicated Turkey gun but I shoot my 410 a lot. Killed a limit of doves with it yesterday on the Tennessee opener. Other than the wood and lack of aftermarket chokes for 410 and 28, I have no complaints. Trulock makes chokes for the 12 and 20

·
Registered
478 Posts
I bought the 20 ga SPZ-ME O/U years ago. No problems. Then I bought the 12 and finally the 410. They have been flawless in function. I did TRU_OIL the stocks because as stated above the oil finish doesn't work well in wet weather.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
They are okay for a light duty hunting gun, but don’t hold up well for the volume of shooting for most clay target shooters. You are much better off investing that money into a entry level semi auto.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Beretta A400 auto loader.

It is a great clays firearm. It is relatively inexpensive. It is easily adjustable for fit. It will recoil less. It will have better resale value.

Lastly, most people shoot auto loader’s better than o/u’s.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It might depend on which model. The Yildiz Prostar models are very close copies of the Perazzi MX12...so close that the barrels can interchange. The fit and finish on them isn't quite perfect, but I'd say it's as good as a Beretta 686 or a Browning CXS. I wouldn't pay the $3000-4000 they're asking for 32" models, but if they had a 32" model in the $2000-2500 range, I'd get one.

I've heard the other Yildiz models might not be anywhere close to the Prostars in quality, but I can't say for sure as I haven't handled them.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Beretta A400 auto loader.

It is a great clays firearm. It is relatively inexpensive. It is easily adjustable for fit. It will recoil less. It will have better resale value.

Lastly, most people shoot auto loader’s better than o/u’s.
I'd like to see your statistics on shooting an auto better than an O/U.........Most people say just the opposite.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'd like to see your statistics on shooting an auto better than an O/U.........Most people say just the opposite.
You can read the discussion at the below link, but when one of the best shooters and instructors in the world, Anthony Matarese, states that most people shoot a semi better than o/u, his knowledge and credibility far surpasses that of “most people”.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll assume you are considering the O/U's at Academy which are built on the SPZ action. British press is generally pretty favorable on these as entry level guns. At Academy's prices, they are even bigger bargains over here.

For any type of target shooting I would definitely choose one with a steel receiver. The additional weight will reduce recoil and smooth your swing, and the steel will stand up better to high round counts. The Legacy HPS will work okay for skeet or sporting. If you throw trap in the mix, however, the adjustable comb and form of the pistol grip on the Sporting HPS will be better for that.

How do they stack up? I suspect a Citori would go 2x or 3x the rounds of an SPZ before requiring a rebuild, but its purchase price is 3x, too. So, if you're a high round count shooter, the $2000+ gun may pull ahead on value.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
You can read the discussion at the below link, but when one of the best shooters and instructors in the world, Anthony Matarese, states that most people shoot a semi better than o/u, his knowledge and credibility far surpasses that of “most people”.

All I can say is SA's and I don't get along, I shoot O/U's better.

Reactions: Mohegan

·
Registered
21,754 Posts
I have had no problem with my Yildiz, bought it in 2010. As for SA vs O/U, I shoot my SA's way better than my O/U's, so much so I hardly ever shoot my O/U shotguns.

cdb

Reactions: cleboje

·
Registered
478 Posts

Opinions are like rectums......We all got one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Run a search for Yildiz here. I’ve been looking at them a bit, plenty of positive testimonials here and other forums if you take the time to dig.

·
Registered
478 Posts
They are okay for a light duty hunting gun, but don’t hold up well for the volume of shooting for most clay target shooters. You are much better off investing that money into a entry level semi auto.
On any Yildiz post someone always says what you said. How DO YOU KNOW how well it will hold up? UNLESS you bought one and shot it to failure. You are only repeating a myth not substantiated by facts.....................

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 12 gauge at academy for 549 that had wood on it that is nicer than my grade 4 citori . I've put 5 flats of target loads through it with no problems. When I find a 410 with decent wood on it it will follow me home too

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
On any Yildiz post someone always says what you said. How DO YOU KNOW how well it will hold up? UNLESS you bought one and shot it to failure. You are only repeating a myth not substantiated by facts.....................
I do own one. A 20 gauge youth over/under. It was my son’s first skeet gun. He shot it basically every week for 10 months until it broke. The retaining clip on the bottom of the receiver wouldn’t retract so you couldn’t close the gun. That makes it pretty difficult to shoot! Two 8 week visits to Briley and it continued to do the same thing. Living in Houston, the headquarters for Academy, I saw lots of Yildiz guns before most of you even heard of them. I also saw first hand how many went to Briley for warranty work. My statement was correct and based on fact. It’s an okay, very cheap gun for occasional hunting or clays. The odds are greatly against them holding up for heavier usage. Most of them get used once or twice for a dove hunt and spend the majority of their lives in a closet.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I do own one. A 20 gauge youth over/under. It was my son’s first skeet gun. He shot it basically every week for 10 months until it broke. The retaining clip on the bottom of the receiver wouldn’t retract so you couldn’t close the gun. That makes it pretty difficult to shoot! Two 8 week visits to Briley and it continued to do the same thing. Living in Houston, the headquarters for Academy, I saw lots of Yildiz guns before most of you even heard of them. I also saw first hand how many went to Briley for warranty work. My statement was correct and based on fact. It’s an okay, very cheap gun for occasional hunting or clays. The odds are greatly against them holding up for heavier usage. Most of them get used once or twice for a dove hunt and spend the majority of their lives in a closet.
Mine don't. It my skeet field in the summer. Then doves, quail and rabbits during the winter.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Mine don't. It my skeet field in the summer. Then doves, quail and rabbits during the winter.
It sounds like you own more than one. I assume they split the duties. I’m glad yours have held up. Mine didn’t. Accusing me of not having any actual experience with Yildiz and spreading “myths” was out of bounds. You could ask first and I would have told you. If the only thing that matters to you is your experience, there is not much point of being on a forum. If your not seeing both sides, it isn’t a myth, it’s a fairy tale.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts