Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got sucked into some late night YouTubing and stumbled across the Yildiz Sport HPS. The ported barrel and steel frame sold me on this low cost option. Most of the criticism on user feedback was on non-steel frame options and lower weight offerings. Found one in stock at an Academy within driving distance and make an impulse buy the next day. I bought this for my older son to use on his clay target team. He is now entering his second clay target season as an 8th grader and want him to have a gun to use that will last him through senior year of high school. He shoots trap, skeet, sporting, and super sporting and shoots a few thousand rounds a year. Did I make a mistake? Any tips on keeping this gun running reliably? Common upgrades? Hit me with the latest meta please.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No mistake at all that gun is perfect for him. Keep it clean and lubricated it’s gonna last a lot longer than that. Upgrades? Maybe some .724 Trulock chokes! I can’t think of much else. Well knowing me I’d refinish the wood but that’s cosmetic!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was a bit of an impulse buy. I was researching it and saw that this particular model is often out of stock. Happened to look and find that there was only on in stock at Academy within a 150 miles of where I live. I was pretty confident in buying it and didn’t want someone to get this one before me so I pulled the trigger on it before completing my research due diligence. Worst case, I figured I would use it as a dove gun on our yearly school hunt.

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like I didn’t goof too bad. I will likely upgrade him to something like a Beretta Silver Pigeon I at some point and just use the Yildiz for myself when he and I go shooting together. I’ll look into the upgraded chokes…

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't know what the kids normally shoot in your area, but among the guns I see youth trap shooters using around here, I'd rank an HPS Sporting around 80th percentile or so. There are a few kids with a Browning or Beretta, but a lot of the others are starting with inexpensive field guns, often too light, and with the gun not fitted to give comfort or the correct point of impact. In the mix are some of the more properly set up Turkish guns. We've got an SKB dealer in the area, and the kids with them do pretty well. I think the HPS Sporting compares pretty well with the other Turkish target guns, and at a bargain price.

I've measured my set of chokes, and the chokes of another 12 ga HPS, and both came out about the same. Skeet had about 0.002" constriction, with each step up from there being approximately 0.010", with the Full at 0.043". That being the case, I rarely use the Full. For trap singles I use Modified, and wouldn't switch to IM until 22 yards or so. For trap doubles I use IC & M. For skeet, I suppose a pair of SK would be best, but SK/IC should be workable. Do use a pattern board when adjusting the stock. The rib is flat (parallel to the bores), and like my three other Yildiz SPZ's, if I'm looking straight down the rib, it shoots slightly lower than 50/50. To get my HPS Sporting up to 60/40, I need the comb high enough to see a fair amount of rib between the beads.

Tweaks/mods....

Wanting mine to weigh more, I sneaked three rolls of lead golfer's tape between the barrels, adding about 3/4 lb for a total of 8.25 lb. The added weight being toward the rear of the barrels, it didn't hurt the balance much, with the it now balancing about an inch in front of the hinge.
Automotive lighting Grille Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

I also wanted to be able to run the comb parallel to the bores, so I reamed a little fore and aft slop into the bores of the bushings in the comb. Also switched to a Kick Eze Modified Trap pad, as I don't like getting poked by the toe of a pad. And switched out the factory fiber optic for a green Champion Easy Hit.
Wood Musical instrument Wood stain Varnish Hardwood

My gun currently has about 2500 rounds on it, and the only visible wear is on the extractor lugs:
Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive design

Like someone said above, maintain it, and see what happens. When new, I pulled the stock off mine, soaked the action with Remoil, and air hosed it out. Then I lubed it sparingly with something stickier (Remoil Pro) before recounting the stock. I'll expect to repeat that every year or so. Whenever assembling it to shoot, I lube the hinge & locking surfaces, along with the ejector & cocking mechanism contact points with ALG 0000 grease. The barrels are chromed inside & out, and seem to be pretty fuss-free.

Best of luck, and please report back if you have any positive or negative experiences with it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
This was a bit of an impulse buy. I was researching it and saw that this particular model is often out of stock. Happened to look and find that there was only on in stock at Academy within a 150 miles of where I live. I was pretty confident in buying it and didn’t want someone to get this one before me so I pulled the trigger on it before completing my research due diligence. Worst case, I figured I would use it as a dove gun on our yearly school hunt.

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like I didn’t goof too bad. I will likely upgrade him to something like a Beretta Silver Pigeon I at some point and just use the Yildiz for myself when he and I go shooting together. I’ll look into the upgraded chokes…
I have done the same, asking for opinions after I have drunk the koolade for a weapon. It’s really just to seek salve after wounding my wallet…....but the fact is we buy what we see as worth the money at the time we bought it. Seeking reassurance after buying a gun is like seeking opinions of a spouse after the wedding. For better or worse, your on the hook !
I am a Yildiz polygamist, with 6 in the safe. As long as I can use them and get good results, I see no need to “ upgrade “ . Your mileage may vary. I did upgrade my chokes….as a well made choke can make a huge difference in performance. I have not really had the opportunity to evaluate them.
I believe in getting my money’s worth from a gun, if I can. After these old shoulders heal up from surgeries, I am to shoot my Yildiz toys more often. Good look with your new toy !

·
Registered
Yildiz Pro Trap 2022
4 Posts
I am new to trap and almost bought this shotgun. It had everything I was looking for, especially with the adjustable comb. I did a lot of research on the company and the guns they make. When I got in touch with YildizUSA I was able to take advantage of a buy one get one from a gun show special, so I upped the ante and I opted in for the Pro Trap and got a pump-action 12ga. as well. So far it shoots like a dream and I love the trigger action too.
The HPS looked like a great gun and I would still like to shoot it. The models at my local Academy had really, really nice wood grain for that price point. One of the big pluses about Yildiz is they have really nice Black Walnut.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts