Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting close to purchasing a Zoli Z-Gun MR 32 inch. However a dealer recommended a Challenger Ascent over the Zoli. Both the CG challenger and the Zoli fit in with what I am willing to spend.

Being a long time Beretta guy, I have paid very little attention to the CG. (I just thought CG to be similar to Beretta). I now see that CG is much more innovative and service is far Superior to Beretta.

Looking for input from shooters who have gone back and forth with the two brands.

Thanks,

· Registered
2,500 Posts
I would go with the Zoli action over the CG action, although the Invictus does have some innovative design features. Zoli’s internals are built heck for stout. Either gun is going to eventually need the usual tlc, springs, firing pins and perhaps an odd part. Curious as to whether the recommending dealer Carrie’s both brands?

· Registered
475 Posts
I have a Z Sport flat rib 32 inch and a CG Summit flat rib sporter 30 inch, have had the Z sport for about 6 years and the CG for 1 year or so. Have been swapping back and forth over the last year and recently when I went thru the scores recently in sporting (which over in Australia here is closer to FITASC) have the same best single round score with both guns also have the same best total comp score with both guns, the overall average single round score over the past 1 year goes to the CG by 1 target.

What does that mean, probably not much but they are both good guns that handle well with similar stock dimensions. If I pick up bot guns the Zoli does feel that little sweeter in the hands but the 32 inch Z Sport seems that if the wheels fall off it may be a bit more dramatic with the 32 inch gun but if I am on with either gun I'm on. In regards to longevity if I ever get to wear a gun out by shooting so much I'd be pretty OK with that :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Buy the one that floats your boat the most, both CG and Zoli are good guns(y)

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would go with the Zoli action over the CG action, although the Invictus does have some innovative design features. Zoli’s internals are built heck for stout. Either gun is going to eventually need the usual tlc, springs, firing pins and perhaps an odd part. Curious as to whether the recommending dealer Carrie’s both brands?
He does carry both brands. But…. based on volume, he is more CG. Stocking very few Zolis.

· Registered
201 Posts
I haven't shot the CG but I do own a Zoli HR. I will say that I'm constantly impressed with the build quality and ease of service/cleaning. Drop out trigger and cleaning is very simple. Most of the trigger parts are titanium coated and don't require additional lubrication. I've done a complete disassembly as I've shot it in the rain. No problem getting into all areas to clean. The ejectors come right out for easy servicing, without gunsmith tools. I'm also impressed with the weighting system, as it puts the weight between the hands. Funny thing is you could take all the weight out and the gun will still balance. The felt recoil is a tad higher than a gas semi. My gun weighs in at 8 1/2 lbs and swings as I want it to. If I had to replace it, it would be one hell of a task.. Enough said..

· Premium Member
217 Posts
Have you handled both guns? I did and went with the CG. To me the difference was very notable. I'm sure many Z gun shooters had the same experience and then bought the Z gun. Handling both might make the decision an easy one.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you handled both guns? I did and went with the CG. To me the difference was very notable. I'm sure many Z gun shooters had the same experience and then bought the Z gun. Handling both might make the decision an easy one.
So far, I have only shot the Z-Gun in the MR. I liked it. It seemed to soak up the recoil. I hate getting beaten up by a gun. (I am currently shooting the A400 and the 390s. I have to drive a few hours to get to a CG Demo center. Perhaps next weekend…

· Registered
505 Posts
I used to shoot a CG Summit Ascent, now I shoot a Z-Sport flat rib. I think the Zoli is a better gun. If you are set on the mid rib models the CG midribs are more of a ramped style where as the Zoli is more of step style. Visually this could play a role in how you like the look of the gun as well as the sight picture.

· Registered
70 Posts
If you don't mind buying used, I also recommend trying some used K80. Their barrels are typically 3 ounces heavier than CG and Zoli. It makes a significant difference to most experienced shooters.

I only shot regular CG and some Zolis before. Zoli is much better than regular CG but I am not sure about Invictus CG.

· Registered
5,362 Posts
Until you get up into the Invictus line of CG the lower end CG sporting guns are gussied up field guns. Not so with the Zoli. The Zoli is more comparable to the Invictus.
That's bulldust. if the Challenger is a gussied up field gun then so is the Beretta 694. As I've said repeatedly, all current 12g CGs have the same action and barrels. Mechanically there are no "high end" or "low end" models. Different grades are cosmetic only and in mechanical functionality, all the the Invictus brings is a reversed hinge to make it easier to rebuild. For that you have a 50% uplift in price.
If you know anyone who's needed to rebuild a CG I'd love to hear about it.

Reactions: gbanker

· Registered
7,580 Posts

· Premium Member
217 Posts
I posted this in another discussion. Suggest you lay them out next to each other and see which one resonates with you. I made a trip up to PSA East to do the side by side comparison. Really wanted to love the P gun, but didn't. Heck, wanted to love the Z gun, but it didn't even make it to the top three. MIght be worth it to get the two you want in one room and compare them side by side. P.S. I am not a competitive shooter and I'm nearing retirement, so I'm not worried about wearing out a shotgun.

Attachments

· Registered
70 Posts
I posted this in another discussion. Suggest you lay them out next to each other and see which one resonates with you. I made a trip up to PSA East to do the side by side comparison. Really wanted to love the P gun, but didn't. Heck, wanted to love the Z gun, but it didn't even make it to the top three. MIght be worth it to get the two you want in one room and compare them side by side. P.S. I am not a competitive shooter and I'm nearing retirement, so I'm not worried about wearing out a shotgun.
Nice comparison. Which gun did you end up buying?

· Premium Member
217 Posts
Nice comparison. Which gun did you end up buying?
I went with the CG. Since I went to see the Perazzi, the salesman was apoplectic that I liked the CG better. The gun just fit me and handled better than the others, which is why I advocate a side by side comparison. Even if you have to travel to see them all in one place, my experience is that it is worth the time and expense to do so.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts